MARITIME SCANNING

Link us to your favorite websites, they don't just have to be radio related however they must be legal (games, news, radios, hobbies are ok)
AIRMAN

MARITIME SCANNING

Post by AIRMAN »

There doesn't seem to be any maritime scanning here on this forum. We have aviation, but no sea traffic. Those of us who are lucky enough to live near the sea can listen in on a wealth of interesting information by monitoring the shipping bands on VHF and UHF maritime bands. Some HF SSB traffic can be heard with the right equipment as well.

Spend some time on this useful link:
http://www.scanmaritime.com/

It has the international VHF maritime frequencies listed as well as cruise ships and cargo ships and ports. Very few if any of these bands are trunked or encrypted and like the Airband they are international, so its very unlikely that they will be in the future.

This site has the ship's frequencies for our Sun Princess which is based here in the Port of Brisbane and also all the Cunard ships one of which recently was in our waters as well.
Scannersplitterguy

Re: MARITIME SCANNING

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Thanks Airman, excellent site.
I monitor ships via AIS on VHF (161.975 and 162.025). A German company has loaned me some very cool receiving gear and all I have to do in return is provide a 24/7 internet connection to upload the AIS data.
Have a look at http://www.marinetraffic.com. Click on Australia/Qld/Sunshine Coast (just above Brisbane) and you will see the ships I'm receiving. All the interesting facts about the vessel are visible if you click on the ship of interest.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Hey Scannersplitter guy,

That's a fantastic site. Will be of much interest to me, especially the cruise ships our of Sydney and Brisbane. We cruise regularly and have covered most of the Pacific onboard Dawn Princess and Sun Princess.

Thanks once again. :D
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

I've been on both of those ships, too :-) Also the Pacific Dawn.
I've taken my scanner onboard each time and been really disappointed at what I didn't receive. They must be using digital....my handhelds are all analog.
Still, I was able to listen to the harbourmasters and tugboats etc while in port.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I have the R20. I really hope that they are not digital, otherwise like you I will tune in to the harbourmasters.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

While I was at the traffic lights on Nudgee Rd at Hamilton this arvo I heard some activity on 467.525Mhz. At first I thought it was SES but they weren't talking SES stuff. They were talking about passengers and loading alcohol etc then I realised it was the bloody big Sun Princess directly in front of me.

Just checked the site above "Live Ships Map" (Pretty cool site by the way) and it is already up off Caloundra. They don't muck around :lol:
Steve
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Dawn Princess comms tx on 457Mhz and rx on 467Mhz- still analog
I logged 5-6 channels last november when i was on board for the total eclipse of the Sun in the Coral Sea
Plus the on-site security at Darling Harbour Wharf 5

You will find all internal ship comms are either 457Mhz or 467Mhz
They use both bands for Tx/Rx

Some ships are now starting to use Digital TRBO

Grant
Comint

Post by Comint »

SteveO wrote:While I was at the traffic lights on Nudgee Rd at Hamilton this arvo I heard some activity on 467.525Mhz. At first I thought it was SES but they weren't talking SES stuff. They were talking about passengers and loading alcohol etc then I realised it was the bloody big Sun Princess directly in front of me.
Yes, the frequencies 457.5250, 457.5500, 457.5750, 467.5250, 467.5500, and 467.5750, are available for 'On Board Ship' use in the Maritime Mobile Service.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Some ships are now starting to use Digital TRBO .

TRBO?
Phil
Administrator

MARITIME SCANNING

Post by Phil »

MotoTRBO - DMR standard uses TDMA instead of FDMA very nice audio, it is becoming very popular around the place a few companies are using it in NSW and Victoria I know it is used here in Qld just haven't found anyone other then DFO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:Some ships are now starting to use Digital TRBO .

TRBO?
TRBO = MotoTRBO (Motorola's proprietary implementation of Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) which is a European standard for Digital radio).

TDMA = Time Division Multiple Access (like Mobile Phones)

FDMA - Frequency Division Multiple Access.

--
Comint