LOCKED TOPICS

By providing us with your feedback and suggestions so that we can improve the website to make it more enjoyable for you
AIRMAN

LOCKED TOPICS

Post by AIRMAN »

HI
I was interested on a recent post regarding CTCSS tones. The discussions where to me enlightening to me on this subject and I returned to it today to thank the guys especially Orangepeel and I was going to inquire if anyone had a simple way to set up CTCSS in a scanning receivers memory or if it was even needed in my area. I was prevented from doing this and I would like to know why this topic has been closed by someone who has not identified him/herself.

Normally on other forums one seldom sees the administrators LOCKING a topic unless it transgresses the protocols of the forum, or, has some entry of an offensive nature. It seems that some administrator has got bored with the topic and decided enough is enough.

I am puzzled as to why a topic on CTCSS tones has been locked. CTCSS isn't a hush hush system and is available in most scanning receivers of any merit and as Orangepeel points out it can be read up fully in Wikipeadia.

If we are all worried about what so and so might say to someone in 'authority' who can declare what the forum is discussing is illegal, then lets hear about it. Everyone knows that posts on forums can be accessed and read by anyone, but who in this day and age is going to do anything about a topic discussion which may be interpreted as 'illegal activity' when its nothing of the kind.

There isn't much activity on this forum without someone closing off active topics without a cogent reason.
End of rant

Last edited by AIRMAN on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: LOCKED TOPICS

Post by Stretch »

I didn't realise it was locked and I will unlock it now.
Mitch Rogers
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Stretch has been the only one here for the last 2 weeks posting. On the topic "locked out" why lock it ?
pagertones

Post by pagertones »

LOUD NOISES!!! (anchorman quote) haha yeahh,, hopefully that releases some tension
scanner

Post by scanner »

agreed
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Anchorman :)

Slightly off topic now :P
Mitch Rogers
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

But just to set the record straight, we will not tolerate CTCSS being displayed in the forums. Members wishing to do that will need to do it via PM or email as we can, and will most likely, be shut down for displaying them.

In the best interests for the site, keep them off.

Mitch
Mitch Rogers
pagertones

Post by pagertones »

stretch can i ask wat they are? :S
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I agree, CTCSS is a great topic that does need discussing I am interested myself.
Due to legalities I don't want the codes displayed publically on the forum, I would much rather that they be forwarded via PM or email to other members or throughout members of the forum so they can be forwarded as needed.
It would be a great addition to the site but im sure others would agree its better to be safe than sorry and I'm sure none of us want this site to have to be taken offline.

I'm not sure who had locked the topic however I will look into that and speak to the appropriate person, the moderator probably thought that it was going to turn into a debate causing arguments, but im sure we can keep it civil on the matter.

Best Regards
Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

pagertones wrote:stretch can i ask wat they are? :S
See this

In a nutshell, you can have two operators on the same frequency but with different CTCSS and they wouldn't hear each other.

Also, with the right radio gear and the right CTCSS you can transmit on restricted freqs (QFRS/QAS/QPS etc) which is why they're against them being on display.

Hope this helps :)
Mitch Rogers
rooster

Post by rooster »

stretch wrote:
Also, with the right radio gear and the right CTCSS you can transmit on restricted freqs (QFRS/QAS/QPS etc) which is why they're against them being on display.
No different to capcodes - so why are they not 'banned' from posts :roll:

Anyone who wants to know the ctcss tones feel free to pm me.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

rooster wrote:
Stretch wrote:

I dunno, no one really seems to mind the capcodes. :sc
Mitch Rogers
rossmutz

Post by rossmutz »

rooster wrote:
stretch wrote:

I don't decode pager transmissions, but my understanding is that a capcode is for a particular user's signal. So, capcodes allow you to filter what you receive, as does CTCSS on a suitable scanner. The difference is that if you have a frequency for a particular service , you will not be heard by that service's users if you program a transmitter - unless you have the CTCSS.

I don't know what the legalities are, but its interesting that ACMA makes the frequencies public on their database, but not the CTCSS.

They are the licensing authority, so its probably a good example to follow.

Another thought - what exactly are the legalities of publishing decoded pager messages on these types of forums?
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

The legalities of pager messages etc were posted by brisbanescan somewhere else in the forums he had contacted the ACMA who didn't seem to have a problem with it.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

rooster

Post by rooster »

rossmutz wrote:
I don't know what the legalities are, but its interesting that ACMA makes the frequencies public on their database, but not the CTCSS.

They are the licensing authority, so its probably a good example to follow.
Interference protection devices or requirements (such as CTCSS) maybe licence requirements by ACMA, but the tones themselves are end user or licence holder chosen.
Last edited by Phil on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix of the Quote Code
rossmutz

Post by rossmutz »

rochedalescan wrote:The legalities of pager messages etc were posted by brisbanescan somewhere else in the forums he had contacted the ACMA who didn't seem to have a problem with it.
That could well be the case; I don't know.

What I am fairly certain of is that some of the pager messages published would certainly not be appreciated by the services sending them.
robb

Post by robb »

I too find subjects for no reason locked.
Happy scanning,

Uniden UBCD996 + 396T, UBC9000XLT, Icom IC-RX7, Yaesu FT-60.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

If you can find a post that wasn't going WAY off topic that wasn't causing an argument or wasn't illegal, feel free to PM me with the post and I will unlock it. I think it is being way exaggerated there are not that many posts that get locked its generally all the ones that have 3 page long shit fights.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder