UBCD325P2 v. UBCD436PT

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Redshift

UBCD325P2 v. UBCD436PT

Post by Redshift »

Hi all. I'm looking for a new handheld digital scanner.
Uniden has server me well in the past with great build quality and longevity so that's the first place I looked. The USDS100 won't leave much change from $900 (a good 50% more than the 325) which I can't really justify and I don't really need the "bleeding edge" features. So the UBCD325P2 & UBCD436PT seem to be the logical options for me at the moment, but I've not come across a good comparison of the two. I'm just wondering if anybody that has experience with either of them would like to chime in with their experience, facts or opinions?

I like the light and compact nature of the 325 & prefer the visibility of its orange backlit screen, but skipping the keypad backlighting seems like a missed opportunity. The 436's larger screen, backlit keypad, side keys and memory card capability are all nice extras, but none of them are really "make or break" features.

I don't believe that the 325 works with Sentinel, but from what I gather it's pretty average and there are better options anyway. The 436 adds the 1200MHz band, but other than that, I'm not sure what technical capabilities really separate the two. The 436 seems to use a unique channel hierachy system designed more for an organisational application and I'm not sure how that would affect day-to-day usability. I gather it was bought to AUS for the CFA and that may have guided firmware development.

Can any of you offer feedback on these models?
Capabilities, features, firmware, performance, build quality, likes, dislikes, differences... I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
Redshift

PS. Just for kicks, here's a pick of my oldest and now sole surviving handheld scanner - A Uniden UBC120XLT circa mid-nineties, modified to run from NiMH AA's in an external velcro mounted battery pack.

VK3RX

Re: UBCD325P2 v. UBCD436PT

Post by VK3RX »

To me it depends what you want from the scanner. If you just want to fire up and leave it scanning, the 325P2 will be fine.They are a great little unit.

On the other hand, if you want to do more fiddling and see more details, then the 436 having a larger screen would be the go. The 436 also has a record facility.

I recall seeing something about the UBCD325P2 (Aussie version) being discontinued, but that may not be a factor because evolving from the 396 series the firmware seems to be bug free.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

As what VK3RX mentioned, depends on what you want from a scanner.

What do you want to listen to? (Airband, Marine, Government Networks, Businesses, DMR...)

325P2 and 436PT are standard with P25 (Conventional, Phase 1, Phase 2) and do reasonably well.
325P2 and 436PT with optional paid upgrade will do Digital (DMR, Con+) well, but 436PT is best for Cap+ and Tier III.
325P2 and 436PT with optional paid upgrades will do ProVoice and NXDN; but I've only ever used NXDN on the 436PT.

325P2 is better on Analogue for Air and Marine bands.
325P2 has a small screen with basic details and keypad does not light up.
436PT has a bigger screen with more details and keypad lights up.

325P2 is rumoured to be discontinued but not officially confirmed by Uniden Australia.
436PT is quite a few years old and still going quite strong. No discontinued rumours yet.

325P2 is a real workhorse, is smaller and fits well in coat pockets for quiet listening.
325P2 is much more sensitive.
436PT (and USDS100) can be quite deaf compared to the 325P2.

325P2 has 2 x AA batteries and lasts about 3-4 hours.
436PT has 3 x AA batteries and lasts 5-6 hours.
Both use the same USB charger type cable.

325P2 can only be charged when off (not turned on and being used).
436PT can be charged when either off or on and being used.

436PT has a Discovery mode for identifying LCN's and number of frequencies in DMR networks.
436PT has an SD card, enables recording audio, and inserting in card reader for quicker transfer/programming.

325P2 is limited to 500 ID's per Favourite List. That is any combination of Talkgroup ID's (TGID) and Radio ID's (RID) - max of 500.
436PT is limited to 1Mb file size per Favourite List, roughly about max of 5,000 ID's (dependant also on how many sites and frequencies).
Note: SA, NSW, & VIC have each about 800-1500 TGID's; RID's are over x0000's each.
Each have max of 100 Favourite lists.

Both can be hand programmed, but preference and ease of use is via computer.
325P2 is programmed using FreeScan.
436PT is programmed using Sentinel and a few others.
FreeScan and Sentinel are difficult at start, but easy to use once you know how.
Do NOT rely on Radio Reference as it's aimed at US people, often Australian content is incorrect.

Turnoff for both:
Numbering and paint/colouring on keypads rub off very easily.
This is a result of the natural oil on your hands that contribute to keypad rubbing off.
Unfortunately, Uniden quality control failed this and it's a common problem.
They should have went for quality and opted for keypads used like Motorola/Tait/Kenwood.
Even older mobile phones with actual keypads, are far better quality than Uniden scanner keypads; and much cheaper.

Whatever scanner you buy, get yourself a leather case ASAP.

Check out YouTube videos to see both in action.
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

That's a comprehensive response :)

Well done, Xp -
Redshift

Post by Redshift »

Thanks for your replies.

Xplorer that's a great rundown and brings up a few good points that I hadn't picked up in the published specs, particularly the 500 ID limit on the 325P2, so thanks a tonne for the effort.

It's a shame to hear about the keypad wear issue. As you can see above, I have 25+ year old Uniden handheld with minimal keypad wear (not that it's seen much use for a long time), it's a shame that their QA seems to have declined. I hope that's not true for the rest of their build quality. Thanks for the heads up.

That's the first I've heard of the 325P2 possibly being discontinued. I'm aware that it's been around for a while, but the scanner/radio product cycle tends to move a lot slower than most of the tech industry and I would expect to see a replacement model hit overseas markets before that happened. That said, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. I don't suppose it matters much though, the only disappointment would be to see it replaced with a better value for money product shortly after purchase, but that's always true of electronics and I've not yet heard talk of a new product breaking cover any time soon.

For now I think I'm leaning toward the 325P2, purely for the light & compact carry benefits.
Cheers.