CFA Motorola Trunking System

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Boort8720

CFA Motorola Trunking System

Post by Boort8720 »

Hi guys,

I was at CFA training last night and the Comms Officer gave us a demo on the brigades Motorola Trunking Radio. He typed in his mobile number on the key pad and his phone rang. I have also heard a phone call between an ambulance and the clinician before on the SMR. I understand that the CFA use the SMR for their trunked system (not sure of type), but was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation as to how it works. Possibly also how to pick it up on a scanner. Any help is much appreciated

Kind Regards
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
Bass Junkie

Re: CFA Motorola Trunking System

Post by Bass Junkie »

Blake

Post by Blake »

Well, the CFA use the RMR Network, not the SMR.
They use to use the SMR, but now they're on them RMR.
(Just so ya' know). :D

But yeah, as Bass Junkie posted,
there are phone interconnects, so you can call a phone number off a radio.
However, AFAIK, it's not free, that usage is billed, so no free calls.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Elements of the CFA most definitely still have access to the SMR Network which is MPT1327 Trunking and with it the phone interconnect abilities. It depends on a Brigades / Unit / Individuals role in the wider CFA system whether they have access.

Dispatch is still via RMR and the older Voting Network for usual operational comms.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

Thanks for the reply,

All I know is that our local brigade have a Motorola MCS2000 that can call someone through the SMR. I'm very sure it is the SMR as there is a phone number that you can call to connect to these trunking radios
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

CFA uses SMR so i dont understand why someone would say they dont. they are used to talk to other appliances in or out of district. Delwp , fire towers , ambos , and SES use smr as one of there primary networks. cfa uses smr mainly on strike teams or when there is a big event happening. the SMR radio works like the old analog mobile phones do hence why you can monitor phone calls that are made over the network providing a better range than 2g , 3g , 4g mobile phones do. The radios roam from tower to tower across the state. Also i should mention by law you must scan past any phone calls you hear on a scanner (if you can be bothered getting of the couch) someone might be able to correct me if im wrong but each call or transmission is limited to 6 minutes.

you can easily monitor the smr with any basic scanner by programming in all the talk frequency's of your local tower

normally one frequency will be reserved for emergency use and Ambulance and ses and police get priority over other uses as sometimes when you go to place a call you might find yourself in a Que. Our brigade have 4 SMR Radios scatted arcross the station. one in the station and in our FCV's POV's

you can find a lot of information on SMR by browsing the forums
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

Thank you very much Scannerman,

That was some really handy information. I believe I have all the frequencies from my tower in one of my scanners, just need to find the time to tune in. I believe we have those trunking radios in our FCV and Comms room (Just some useless information).

Thank you very much
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Blake

Post by Blake »

I stand corrected, apologies. :oops:
I meant that they primarily use the RMR (for dispatch), but yes, still can & do access the SMR.
Whoops. :roll: :D
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

Not to worry,

We all make mistakes, plus I understood what you meant anyway.

Thanks for your help Blake.

Kind Regards
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

scannerman

Post by scannerman »

heres a good quick vid that explains the SMR Network https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzZg7Loatw