Best antenna

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
GME Man

Best antenna

Post by GME Man »

Does anyone have an idea about what would be the best antenna to install on the roof of my house that supports 2m and 70cm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GME Man
patelkes
Newly Registered Users

Re: Best antenna

Post by patelkes »

It depends upon near by repeaters. I have hand made 2 meter/70 cms Yagi as per Dave Tadlock design. See his 6m/2m/70cm you tube video or you can by $265 commercially available from Diamond Yagi 2m/70 cm from strictlyham.com.au

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Last edited by patelkes on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Horses for courses. There are a lot of variables. What do you want to do with the radio? How close to repeaters are you? Repeaters or simplex your main interest? How do you get out at your location? Do you want the antenna / antennas to be directional? If so, is it / are they, going to be fixed or rotate? How much do you want to spend? Once you have some idea, then have a look at a few ham sites on the Internet and pick out something that may fit you bill, then google the make and model to see how it shapes up, or ask someone here if they have had experience with that particular antenna. Or, as an alternative, google 2 mx and 70 cm antennas and have a look at some of the home brew ones. Some are extremely simple to build and extremely cheap. If you get something that works, and it's not too difficult, share the results here. VHF / UHF is funny stuff and you may have to look where the antenna is installed as much as anything else.
oxley2903
Newly Registered Users

Post by oxley2903 »

Hi there,

I have used the Diamond X50 and Diamond X30 (they come with PL259 or 'N' Type connector on the bottom)and they have worked well for me over the past 6 years. I did try the Diamond X300A which is quite a long antenna but the cockatoos smashed it.
Tony
oxley2903
Motorola GM339, GP339
Simoco SRM9022
Kenwood D700A
Icom IC400Pro, Icom IC2010, 706Mk2, 2820
Codan NGT, Barrett 950