UBC 120XLT - any good now ?

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
BP Super
Newly Registered Users

UBC 120XLT - any good now ?

Post by BP Super »

Hello, I am new to this activity, I have just inherited a Uniden UBC 120XLT which I think is fairly old. Can anyone advise me if it is still a useful scanner.

My main interest would be in tracking the CFA during the bushfire season as I live in a medium risk area.

Thanks in advance . . . . .Brian
Blake

Re: UBC 120XLT - any good now ?

Post by Blake »

Well Brain, good question.
I'm sure there's someone more qualified here to shed some light on it, but here goes.

The CFA, from what I can gather operate on a P25 Digital Trunked Phase 1 network.
The 120XLT, from what I can gather, isn't digital compatible.
So, long story short, you can't listen.
I'm not to sure about about a local fireground channel, I believe they are simplex, so maybe :? (scratch that, just checked, they're apparently digital too) :(

So, if your really set on listening to the CFA, you'll need to get a scanner that's compatible with that network.
Or, for free, you could visit my website (in Sig) and listen in by live streaming over the internet.
Bear in mind that it can not be super reliable, in a bushfire for example, if you lose internet, then you lose radio :shock:

Hope this helps bloke.
railscan

Post by railscan »

Blake wrote:Well Brain, good question.
I'm sure there's someone more qualified here to shed some light on it, but here goes.

The CFA, from what I can gather operate on a P25 Digital Trunked Phase 1 network.
I'm not to sure about about a local fireground channel, I believe they are simplex, so maybe :? (scratch that, just checked, they're apparently digital too) :(

So, if your really set on listening to the CFA, you'll need to get a scanner that's compatible with that network.
Or, for free, you could visit my website (in Sig) and listen in by live streaming over the internet.
Bear in mind that it can not be super reliable, in a bushfire for example, if you lose internet, then you lose radio :shock:

Hope this helps bloke.
It is also good for stopping papers blowing off your desk or as a source of spare parts for other who own a 120XLT and want to stop paper blowing off their desks.

R
BP Super
Newly Registered Users

Post by BP Super »

Thanks for your help . . .Brian
Blake wrote:Well Brain, good question.

Hope this helps bloke.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Hi Brian.
The CFA still operate analogue dispatch channels in the outer metro areas (D07, D08, D13 & D14). Depending where you live you may still be able to keep a track of incidents in your local area. The only problem is that the CFA use a mix of analogue and digital 'fireground' and 'incident management channels' in those districts. There currently are no plans for those districts to migrate to digital dispatch, that is the RMR network at this stage although they will in time.