Digital Scanners and DAB+

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
Rainsey
Newly Registered Users

Digital Scanners and DAB+

Post by Rainsey »

i all,

This question is going to show my total neivity to the concept but can a digital scanner such as the Unden 396XT for example pick up digital radio broadcast transmissions. My under standing to pick up Digital Broadcast Radio one needs a DAB+ capable radio receiver.

The reason for my question is that I am about to do a 3 month trip to the top end and across to the Kimberly. I was going to purchase a scanner to track the various commuications on the way such as bush fire, trucks and some of the local air ports and the likes, but I wanted to also use it to pick up broadcast radio such as the ABC while tripping around. I do beleive that the scanners can pick up the normal analoge radio broadcasts but my interest is also in the newer digital.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
peteramjet

Re: Digital Scanners and DAB+

Post by peteramjet »

Nup. The only digital mode the 396 (or any of the normal 'digital' scanners for that matter) can decode is unencrypted P25. There would be hundred's of other digital modes out there, some extremely popular, that the scanner won't decode.

You won't get commercial AM radio broadcasts on that scanner either as they are outside its frequency range. FM commercial stations shouldn't be an issue.
Rainsey
Newly Registered Users

Re: Digital Scanners and DAB+

Post by Rainsey »

thanks for the reply.