Quick question for CFA vollies re channels/zones

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Bass Junkie

Quick question for CFA vollies re channels/zones

Post by Bass Junkie »

Hi All,

Recently moved down to Vic and looking for a bit of info from any CFA vollies that might be on this board. I've been looking for channel plans as I like to be able to reference proper channel numbers when scanning, helps when going to fireground channels etc. From what I've heard so far, all the fireground stuff is still on the old analogue channel plan which is available everywhere.

I'm curious as to how the channels/zones are set up on the newer radios, especially compared to how we ran it up in NSW in the RFS. Do you have multiple zones - 1 for RMR, 1 for the old analogue channel plan, and 1 for the digital fireground stuff, or is it all one the one zone with channel numbers accordingly? I heard someone mention that the digital fireground channels are simply the existing channel numbers + 250, so guessing they're on the same zone.

How are the talkgroups labelled/numbered in your radios? E.g. I know TGID 30512 is for district 12, 30508 is for district 8, etc.

Last question... if I'm to program a scanner for fireground only would channels 1-104 (minus all the repeater channels) cover it or do you guys use other channels like those in 200-250 on occasion?

Thanks!
Dave
ozradio

Re: Quick question for CFA vollies re channels/zones

Post by ozradio »

Hi @Bass Junkie,

CFA does not operate different "zones" in the radio based on the technology used. A numbering convention has been specified for the 5XX channels where the 5 indicates a digital dispatch channel on the trunked RMR (Regional Mobile Radio) network, and all other channels are simplex fireground channels. Each district has a few simplex fireground channels which are simply named Reg-XX A, Reg-XX B, etc.

If you want to scan your local dispatch channel look into scanning the RMR. As for scanning fieground channels you can find a list of CFA frequencies everywhere. I would avoid trying to channel match with the current band plan as the band plan is due to be changed again within the next 12-24 months as all the other emergency services in Victoria and when that happens the band plan will change and all emergency services will come in line with a compatible network and band plan.
ozradio
Simoco SRM9030Plus TU Band, SRM9030Plus AC Band, SRM9005 AC Band, SRM9022 TU Band
Tait T2000II, Barrett Crystal Locked HF Set, Uniden 80 Channel UHF
Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie »

ozradio wrote:Hi @Bass Junkie,

CFA does not operate different "zones" in the radio based on the technology used. A numbering convention has been specified for the 5XX channels where the 5 indicates a digital dispatch channel on the trunked RMR (Regional Mobile Radio) network, and all other channels are simplex fireground channels. Each district has a few simplex fireground channels which are simply named Reg-XX A, Reg-XX B, etc.

If you want to scan your local dispatch channel look into scanning the RMR. As for scanning fieground channels you can find a list of CFA frequencies everywhere. I would avoid trying to channel match with the current band plan as the band plan is due to be changed again within the next 12-24 months as all the other emergency services in Victoria and when that happens the band plan will change and all emergency services will come in line with a compatible network and band plan.
Thanks mate, appreciate the reply! Main reason for channel matching was on an SRM-9000 block that I was configuring up to be my main receiver in the car - when they say they're going over to fireground channel X I wanted to make sure that I could switch quickly without referring to conversion sheets etc. :)

Got RMR running via a Uniden scanner, analogue fireground via the SRM. I know that a set of channels are using the SMR, which I've got running via Unitrunker at home scanning the Kinglake tower (streaming on Broadcastify now), however I haven't been able to hear any traffic there yet, just seen a lot of join commands come through.

From monitoring over the fire season it sounds like I'm gonna have to get something to listen to the digital fireground channels at some point. Hoping to delay that expense as long as I can. ;)

I'll be very interested to see the new multi agency plan, will be watching carefully over the next 24 months!
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

for the inner areas of VIC , what would be metro areas , the analouge system is still used , for region 8 its chan 27
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au