EZI30xlt vs UBC93xlt

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
leighbus

EZI30xlt vs UBC93xlt

Post by leighbus »

I've been using my ezi30xlt for a while now but was getting sick of changing batteries all the time so I picked up a ubc93xlt for $200 thinking I was getting a upgrade. It comes with a power adapter and rechargeable batteries and has close capture function which I wanted but I took it out for a cruise around town for the first time tonight and it was horrible, probably 80-90% of transmitions were inaudible (could hear voices but too much static, couldn't make out what they were saying).

So I brought it home and sat both scanners side by side both tuned to the same frequency and it was like night and day, the ezi30xlt had beautiful clear audio and the ubc93xlt was about 50% voice and 50% static. I'm very disappointed. How much differance would a bigger or better antenna make? And can anyone suggest one?
SteveO

Re: EZI30xlt vs UBC93xlt

Post by SteveO »

A new antenna would probably help heaps. Most times the originals are not very good. I usually buy one that covers the 2m and 70 cm bands that way you can hear the air bands and it usually works well on the QLD emergency services as well.
Steve