A Guide to VKR Radio Procedures

erikn

A Guide to VKR Radio Procedures

Post by erikn »

G'Day,

Basically I spent a couple hours having a listen to the Logan Police online feed and have compiled a guide to QPS radio procedures. Includes priority and job codes (we all know those) as well as radio procedures (information taken from the various threads I've posted and also read, and of course the Logan Police online feed), such as job details, unit availability and broadcasts. It is in Word 97-2003 format, so if there's anything I've missed feel free to edit it in and post an updated version.

If you have any issues with me posting this to the forum, just let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

EDIT: Changed topic name to better fit subject material.

Version 2: Added two prowords 'our last' and 'your last' and a section on crew use of mobile phones.
Version 3: Added meal break procedure. Still need information on pursuit and 'any unit' broadcasts. Fixed several job code descriptions and CAD information.
Version 4: 15/09/2013: Added information on pursuit and 'any unit' broadcasts.
Version 5: Added QV/name checks and FOP broadcast information.
Version 6: Filled in crew booking on/off information, re-organised QPS abbreviation list, fixed font size, added more information to unit redirection procedure.
Version 7: Added all jobcodes (listed on 5-0 Radio iPhone app) and slight changes to QV procedure.
Help with improving this guide is much welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by erikn on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am, edited 10 times in total.
This user has retired from the forum.
erikn

Re: A Guide to VKR Radio Procedures

Post by erikn »

G'Day

Listed up all the callsign number groups and what they mean (publicly available on the internet), as well as my own idea for region/district/ callsign phonetic assignment.

Word 97-2003 doc, feel free to have a look, download and update if you want to.

Erik

Version 2 uploaded: Fixed Brisbane region call signs and reallocated rail and dog squad from 700 series to 600 series calls for outside Brisbane Metro area.
V4 uploaded - Added Moreton Region callsigns - at least the ones i know from other posts on the forum
V5 - Added two extra callsigns for Bundaberg and Maryborough.
V6 - Added a few extra callsigns for Moreton District as well as the old calls for Redcliffe/Caboolture (RE and CB), and added Sunny Coast (SC).
V7 - Added one more phonetic (Delta Bravo) - belongs to Dalby (heard from Radio 5-0 iPhone app)

Any suggestions for either the call sign list or the guide are welcome :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by erikn on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 am, edited 8 times in total.
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

The second document is rather inaccurate

All regions are slightly different

For example you have rail and dogs listed in the 700's where as in the south eastern region they're in the 600's

In Ipswich the dog squad is Delta 1

Also most of the phonetics aren't even close, for example at the moment Brisbane has

Bravo alpha (state traffic)
Bravo Papa (Petri)
Bravo November (Brisbane north)
Bravo Mike (Brisbane west)
Bravo Bravo (city valley)
Bravo Charlie (state crime command)
Bravo Oscar (oxley)
Bravo sierra (Brisbane south)
Bravo whiskey (wynnum)

Obviously they don't say the bravo bit unless they are in a region that requires it

In fact looking at that list almost all if them look wrong

It's nice that you're putting effort into the list and everything but its a little bit pointless if a large portion of the information is incorrect
erikn

Post by erikn »

mstrkrft wrote:The second document is rather inaccurate

All regions are slightly different

For example you have rail and dogs listed in the 700's where as in the south eastern region they're in the 600's

In Ipswich the dog squad is Delta 1

Also most of the phonetics aren't even close, for example at the moment Brisbane has

Bravo alpha (state traffic)
Bravo Papa (Petri)
Bravo November (Brisbane north)
Bravo Mike (Brisbane west)
Bravo Bravo (city valley)
Bravo Charlie (state crime command)
Bravo Oscar (oxley)
Bravo sierra (Brisbane south)
Bravo whiskey (wynnum)

Obviously they don't say the bravo bit unless they are in a region that requires it

In fact looking at that list almost all if them look wrong

It's nice that you're putting effort into the list and everything but its a little bit pointless if a large portion of the information is incorrect
EDIT: All fixed.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The original post said that we were free to add what we DO know, so that together, we, by signal analysis, work out what IS going on. Some of their "codes" are not quite correct in that they are not complete, however, they are accurate in one sense because the police use them for the purposes listed and not the extensions they could use. Good job. Well done.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Not a bad start, I'll upload my old job card sheet when I get home from dinner tonight

Edit: a couple of quick things

3A-3C isn't used any more
C4 jobs are dispatched all the time. Code 3 jobs can also be delayed with a negotiated response

JAB: old abbreviation for CPIU

JC 127: worded as UUMV (unlawful use)
JC 206: train crash. 434 is for generic rail incidents
JC 503 is threat or attempt suicide. 507 is collapsed person
JC 513 is assist QAS
JC 814: no alarm sounding premises secure
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
Comint

Post by Comint »

CIB is Criminal Investigation Branch.
Commonly just referred to as "the Branch".

--
Comint
gasgrassorarse

Post by gasgrassorarse »

often hear the abbreviated term F.O.P broadcast, which appears to stand for full of pi55 :)

unit prefixes: Bravo Uniform (Bundaberg) and Mike Bravo (Maryborough)
erikn

Post by erikn »

gasgrassorarse wrote:often hear the abbreviated term F.O.P broadcast, which appears to stand for full of pi55 :)

unit prefixes: Bravo Uniform (Bundaberg) and Mike Bravo (Maryborough)
Thanks for that :)

Also heard Gympie VKR callin a Delta Bravo unit - which district has that unit prefix?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Before they changed things around, the Gympie District went from the coast out to beyond Kingararoy. The Gympie Patrol Area now stops at about Goomeri. From there on out, it's in the Dalby Patrol Area, BUT Gympie still handles all the comms for the far reaches of the South Burnett.
erikn

Post by erikn »

Vkfour wrote:Before they changed things around, the Gympie District went from the coast out to beyond Kingararoy. The Gympie Patrol Area now stops at about Goomeri. From there on out, it's in the Dalby Patrol Area, BUT Gympie still handles all the comms for the far reaches of the South Burnett.
Thanks for the info :)
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Vkfour wrote:Before they changed things around, the Gympie District went from the coast out to beyond Kingararoy. The Gympie Patrol Area now stops at about Goomeri. From there on out, it's in the Dalby Patrol Area, BUT Gympie still handles all the comms for the far reaches of the South Burnett.
Toowoomba handles all comms for the entire south west corner
Daley, Roma and Warwick ( and I think Charleville) are all run by VKR Toowoomba

Each respective area still has the shift supervisor sitting at the old console and occasionally they will come on as VKR <insert local area here>
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
erikn

Post by erikn »

Just another question: which VKR centre handles comms for Imbil - and what's the alpha prefix(es) for that region?
rooster

Post by rooster »

Gympie, not sure of the callsign for Imbil though...
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Imbil is Gympie Comms, channel 11 off Black Mtn at Cooroy
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Gympie is one place that doesn't use alpha prefixes as it is easier to say, "Gympie", rather than "Golf Yankee" Imbil uses Mt Kandanga as well as Black Mountain, depending on where they are. There are some pretty rugged places in their Division and often times they have to advise Gympie that they are not contactable on radio or phone and will be out of range for however long it is going to be. Callsign is 260 series, usually, but not always preceded by, "Imbil". Similar situation for Tin Can Bay and Rainbow beach, callsigns 290 for Tin Can and 291 for Rainbow. Again, usually, but not always, preceded by, Tin Can Bay", or "Rainbow Beach". Generally, the operators here in Gympie know by the numbers where they are and just use the numbers a lot of the time.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

rapps_101 wrote:
Toowoomba handles all comms for the entire south west corner
Daley, Roma and Warwick ( and I think Charleville) are all run by VKR Toowoomba

Each respective area still has the shift supervisor sitting at the old console and occasionally they will come on as VKR <insert local area here>
Toowoomba is supposed to handle the entire south west corner, but Gympie is still looking after communications for Kingaroy, Nanango, Murgon and Cherbourg and basically anything from Beyond Goomeri. Any jobs in that area are still being allocated Gympie job numbers.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Sorry, I quoted what you wrote when I probably shouldn't have. My comment stands about Toowoomba; you're right about Gympie still being stand alone.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

rapps_101 wrote:Sorry, I quoted what you wrote when I probably shouldn't have. My comment stands about Toowoomba; you're right about Gympie still being stand alone.
I don't doubt that Toowoomba do cover the south west areas, and Dalby is definitely in that area. The western part of the old Gympie Police District is now allocated to Dalby. Unfortunayely, it doesn't appear that a lot of thought went into where communications centres were and how it was all going to work. Maybe the new boundaries were a priority, but with an organization like the police, one would think that that was their main priority would be the ability to communicate. None the less, at this point in time, Gympie is still handling pretty much of its old district communications. The Police Commissioner said that the new boundaries were more fluid. He's right. Some areas north and south of Gympie, who were never in the old district are now part of the new Patrol Area and have better comms with Gympie, are still using Maryborough and Sunshine Coast, and still using Mike Brace and Sierra Charlie callsigns. It's a bit of a mess really.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

You're not wrong about it being a mess!