My new Shockwave 5/8 installation

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Here's some photos of the Shockwave 5/8 antenna for 27MHz I purchased this week.
I wasn't able to take photos during installation as it was a shitty day weather-wise and time was precious.

The antenna is very well designed and skillfully made. Everything fits together perfectly and the machining/drilling is very precise.
A nice touch is the small syringe of silver metal paste, which is included. You squirt a little of this paste in to each screw hole so there is no chemical reaction between the stainless steel screws and aluminium tubing.
The bottom section (where the coil is mounted) is 4mm thick tube - very solid!
I'll let the closeup photos do the talking.

The antenna was mounted on a 4.5m x 1.5 inch diameter mast. The antenna is around 7 metres in height and the groundplane radials are 2.7m long each (5.4m tip to tip). The antenna looks HUGE on my roof, especially when it is mounted so high :-)
I also put a brand new elevated feed 6.5dB 477 MHz antenna on a cross bar. In the background is a new discone, this antenna is quite large, around 2 meters high!
I ran RG213 to all three antennas and used all new antenna hardware. This gear should last for years!

I will also give a shameless plug to Ryan from Extreme Installations for helping with the installation. Ryan really knows his stuff and made sure the guy wires were well secured to the colourbond roof. He insisted on placing blocks of timber underneath the metal batons in the ceiling, so the eyebolts had something solid to screw in to. Everything was properly sealed where necessary (ie: cable through roof sheets) and the whole rig looks neat, trim and professional. If you are in the Sunshine Coast / Brisbane area, PM me for Ryan's contact details if you want a professional job done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scannersplitterguy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Sensational news

Looking forward to reports on it
Newy1234

Re: My new Shockwave 5/8 installation

Post by Newy1234 »

Looks like you have it installed well. I tried to contact Shockwave Antennas about 9 months ago when I was looking at a new antenna, but never got a reply.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Beefy lookin' piece of aluminium real estate right there, well done :D
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Newy1234 wrote:Looks like you have it installed well. I tried to contact Shockwave Antennas about 9 months ago when I was looking at a new antenna, but never got a reply.
Peter at Shockwave is a bit slack with email....he's quite happy to talk on the phone though.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire