worried about Digital encryption

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
daryl

Post by daryl »

A few weeks ago a Police officer informed me all their cars were being fitted with new Digital Radios, and how was i going to do my job as a TV cameraman ? my reply was 'i can listen to Ambo channel who usually get jobs before Police', however Ambo's and firies are also going digital? according to local NSWFB captain.
I will put foward a request for access to the online Police media liasons site 'PEATS' but ive already been told thats un-likely. There is the Police media emails but these are hours after the incident, and i would need to be sitting at the computer all day, or hope the TV networks use me instead of their helicopter.
So im searching for other ways of getting news, has anyone know if a pager would work to receive RFS,NSWFB and SES?, and how much info to you get (ie location, severity) any help appreciated thanks..ps there has been a decreace in MVA fatals in my area of late and lots of black-spot funding, so somethings working?
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: worried about Digital encryption

Post by rochedalescan »

Don't you guy's have a right to information thing so you get notified on all the incidents and that via pager ? or is that QLD ? I think there was a similar thing in QLD when Brisbane went digital and it went to court and that was the comprimise that they be notified of major incidents etc but their radio system stays secure.

Most news crews etc go with the whole pager decoding thing anyway, im sure thats possible otherwise towies in NSW wouldn't have any work :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Daryl,

based on what services you are talking about, yes the NSW Police have encryption however many of the other services such as, NSWFB, NSWAS, NSWRFS, NSWSES are already on the P25 GRN which is only in effect in Metro NSW all of the Regional NSW areas are still using the PMR Systems that are in place including the NSWP which are still using there XBand VHF System
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

rochedalescan wrote:Don't you guy's have a right to information thing so you get notified on all the incidents and that via pager ? or is that QLD ? I think there was a similar thing in QLD when Brisbane went digital and it went to court and that was the comprimise that they be notified of major incidents etc but their radio system stays secure.

Most news crews etc go with the whole pager decoding thing anyway, im sure thats possible otherwise towies in NSW wouldn't have any work :)
Queensland police gave media outlets a program called MATCAD which is supposed to give you a list of metro police jobs an addresses but it is completely useless because they filter out anything interesting and don't give a decent description of what the job is.. Have you tried pager decoding?
daryl

Post by daryl »

NSW has a similar system called 'PEATS', ive heard the same feedback from it, its also heaps delayed.

https://peats.police.nsw.gov.au/

anyone here can crack a login password?

As for tow-truck drivers, its called a rostered tow. ie Police will call them. Police have called me only 3 times for a job in as many years.
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

Have you spoken to to the NSW Police about getting a log on? If you are a freelance camera operator you should gave a decent case for getting one.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Yes have tried once, but that was for Sydney/Wollongong LAC's. Anyone tested
http://www.snarl.com.au/incidents
PaulTech

Post by PaulTech »

you could try the brute force method in this article
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/04/ ... 5-receiver

or use one of these if you're in a metro area
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330536406543?ss ... 1436.l2649

or just decode the RDS with the $25 SDR in the top link.
Hobart
------------

RTL SDR(R820T) using SDR#, SeeDeR, dump1090, UniTrunker