Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
-Hail
Newly Registered Users

Re: Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by -Hail »

Hi all,
well i'm looking to buy my first scanner, i'm on the Gold Coast and have used the online scanner but it only covers brisbane areas, plus a scanner would be handy in the car..why do i want one? i guess im just plain nosey :lol:
Question is what do i need, and were do i get it, if you know exactly what im looking for please tell me :D till then i'll keep reading thx,
Comint

Post by Comint »

-Hail wrote:Hi all,
well i'm looking to buy my first scanner, i'm on the Gold Coast and have used the online scanner but it only covers brisbane areas, plus a scanner would be handy in the car..why do i want one? i guess im just plain nosey :lol:
Question is what do i need, and were do i get it, if you know exactly what im looking for please tell me :D till then i'll keep reading thx,
Welcome to the Forum.

For a Portable Scanner, you may care to look at the Uniden UBCD396XT.

--
Comint
-Hail
Newly Registered Users

Post by -Hail »

Thanks Comint,
a UBC396XT is on its way, Cheers! :D
bagman002

Post by bagman002 »

My name is Brent and I have introduced myself by posting in this same category.

I guess I first became interested in scanners when my Uncle use to listen to his in Brisbane but I was still very young at that point.

I bought myself one of the cheap programmable radios from eBay but I didn't like that it did not support 470-480Mhz, So I bought myself another. The main use for me was to listen to both QPS and QFRS. About a month or two before I bought theses cheap radios I started doing searches to find frequencies and to see what everyone else listens to which then lead me to AussieScanners.

I enjoy listening to QFRS as I am a Rural Fire Fighter and like to know what is happening in the North Coast Region. QPS is just another one to listen to as they are active a lot and its nice to know whats happening in the local area. I heard a report of shots fired last night :shock:

It didn't take me long after getting theses radios that I wanted a scanner, I hit up aussiescanners to ask advise on what I should buy. I told them what I wanted and I went out and got myself a Uniden 93XLT. I loved the extra band coverage that this radio gave me.

I soon got bored with this scanner and needing to remember what bank was what so I sold my 93XLT and upgraded to the Uniden 396XLT and love that I can now alpha tag all the channels. I have only done the switch recently so I am still learning how to use this scanner which leads me back to AussieScanners everytime.

Sorry for the long post and thanks again to the support provided by all the members of this forum
Sold my Uniden 93XLT and now using Uniden 396XT
Phantom
Forum Manager

Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum!!
Ronsta

Post by Ronsta »

Just signed up to Aussie Scanners today.

Have been interested in radio for many years. Bought my first CB (Midland) back in 1977, when it was not politically correct. Half the fun was dodging the local Radio Inspector. Did the usual 27 MHz thing, worked all the skip from wherever. Got bored with CB, then moved on to amateur radio and been licenced since 1983. All the while had a big interest in listening to commercial services. Over the years constucted many transceivers, antennas and test equipment. Located in Brisbane North at the bottom of a hill. Bit of an RF hole, but I've been in worse places.

Not a big one on posting on forums, more a lurker who will help out when I can.

Thanks

Ron
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

i got into radio cause my fater collected and repaired old tube radios and shortwave radio from then on ive collected radio's and scanners. would love to meet up with ppl also interest in ham radio and scanners. also love to see what other gear ppl have.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

vkcpolice wrote:

i got into radio cause my fater collected and repaired old tube radios and shortwave radio from then on ive collected radio's and scanners. would love to meet up with ppl also interest in ham radio and scanners. also love to see what other gear ppl have.

Then the forum subsection dedicated to operational installations and equipment ( ie. collections) could be of interest to you then, details in Shack Information & Photos :mrgreen:
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
QLD-Bob

Post by QLD-Bob »

I first became interested in scanners when I was young and my uncle drove tow trucks I used to listen to his scanner all the time, I became interested in UHF radio when I joined the SES and started using their radio equipment along with the old gme472s UHF that was in my car when I bought it.
Sparky
Newly Registered Users

Post by Sparky »

I used to have a cheap Uniden desktop scanner (before a friend broke it on me) and I've missed listening to the QPS and QAS ever since, so now I'm about to pick up another Uniden scanner and get back into it.
alphanull25

Post by alphanull25 »

Hi Fellow scanning fans
I just joined up and thought I should say hi. I am at Beenleigh QLD. I have been into radios for - all my life actually. I have HF receivers and several scanners. I am hoping to get the new AOR 8200 MK3 Digital soon. I have a decent outdoor discone antenna and can receive from Surfers Paradise up to Mount Mee west of Caboolture. Ipswich comes in quite well too. This is not bad considering the huge hill to the south of my house.

Cheers
DavidHelicopter

Post by DavidHelicopter »

Hello fellow scannies, VK5HOL, icom r20. icom 7000 yaesu vx3 these are my main toys. Location Adelaide. southern suburbs
TTENNEB
Newly Registered Users

Post by TTENNEB »

Gday!

Have had a radioshack scanner for a few years, used to listen to the police, ambos, fire etc till they all went digital and encrypted!

Looking at pulling the cover off the ol Pro 92 and seeing what is out there!

First got into scanning when I wanted to listen to the chatter at the Avalon air show, also have listened in on a few other events.

Be prepared for a few stupid questions.... i'm still very green :)

Cheers
Chris
DavidHelicopter

Post by DavidHelicopter »

G'day all, my intro, long time radio fan, had a bearcat when you could listen to mobile phones and the constabulary, the good old days, five years ago bought a icom r20 and renewed my interest in radio and just the other day I got a UBCD396XT and it came with rs232 to usb so all up and running but still take a while to get my head around this rubics cube disguised as a scanner. Have icom 7000, yaesu vx3 to transmit with. Location southern suburbs Adelaide. Cheers
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

DavidHelicopter wrote:G'day all, my intro, long time radio fan, had a bearcat when you could listen to mobile phones and the constabulary, the good old days, five years ago bought a icom r20 and renewed my interest in radio and just the other day I got a UBCD396XT and it came with rs232 to usb so all up and running but still take a while to get my head around this rubics cube disguised as a scanner. Have icom 7000, yaesu vx3 to transmit with. Location southern suburbs Adelaide. Cheers
You did introduce yourself a few posts up, VK5HOL :mrgreen:

Joel VK/9V1CJ
Yipyip46

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good morning Listeners
My name is Ian. I have been interested in radio since 1974. I have been involve with CB since 1976 and Amatuer radio since 1981. I like homebrewing electronics and tickering with antenna. Regards Ian
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Welcome Ian
Shaker4x4

Post by Shaker4x4 »

It's a long story, but my background was from a parent with Ham radio and electronic knowledge in anything repairable. My last radio was a 27Mhz with SWR'd in Dipole antenna, which was very powerful compared to everyone in surrounding suburbs. That got sold to next door whom was happy to splatter our TV for many months to follow... Thanks for nothing Dad... Anyway, I've listened to scanners before and enjoy hearing the professionalism and events of goings on in our lives so will keep at this as a hobby now, but don't want to go too deep with it, just learn what I can and with what I have as time goes by. If it keeps my mind active, then that's a good thing. I do a lot of reading, at times have a bit of trouble absorbing details, but keep at it until I click with it... that's me.

I own an IC-6023 with open soft-w and an IC-41W also with open soft-w so programming will be a learning curve, let alone learning to use it. So my brain is being fed a lot of information a little alien to me, but one I've done it all in a practical manner a couple of times, it becomes a sinch. I like those accomplishments and learning new things, so it's why I've taken an interest in scanners and radios, because it's not so far out of reach and technical enough to keep my mind busy without feeling like I couldn't grasp any of it. It's a progressive technical learning curve at one's own pace, as well as a social outlet or in the case of scanners only, input :)

Thanks to those who volunteer there bandwidth and scanner to uploading Rx frequencies. I currently listen to a scanning app on my phone. I notice between some websites streaming from a scanner have like a 30 second delay. I want to hear the juicy details in live transmission as it happens and uncensored :o

There.

Shakes.
paul l

Post by paul l »

Hi, i'm interested in scanning. I live in the Gold Coast and its great and go to the speedway quite a lot . I had a aor8000 and that was pinched. I have an aor1000 , uniden ubc57xlt and a base udiden now. Dose anybody know if there is a place that can service my scanners as I can't find anybody in Brisbane anymore. I go to Sydney a lot and find its hard to also does anybody know the frequencies foe the armor 600 gold coast. Sorry if any spelling wrong as I've had a slight stroke so most of it i'm starting over . Thanks Paul
chrisyme
Newly Registered Users

Post by chrisyme »

I'm a RFS member and wanted to listen to the RFS at home, also keen on the aviation sector so started with an analog scanner for the VHF aviation and now bought a Uniden UBCD396XT. Now the fun time of programming. Any advice is welcome :)