Icom IC-41s

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
bananaman

Icom IC-41s

Post by bananaman »

i just got an icom IC-41s and can only get about 2 km range on UHF is this about right or should I be getting further than that.
Last edited by SunnybankScan on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correction to title, Grammar and Punctuation.
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: icom ic42s

Post by rochedalescan »

Depends on your location / Chanel / hills. What chanels have you tried if I remember rightly 4 duplex is out ipswich way ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

i go along the ipswich motorway and on scan most of the way ive got it set on high and as long as i have line of sight its fine i go to the rocklea markets at 0230 and come back at around 1100 if that helps
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

you should get 7 no probs

3 maybe bit higher than 4's location

i tested 5 the other night at darra rail recived well but not transmit well on a little 0.5watt
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

no ive tried 7 and all i get is a bit of a hiss every now and then and ive got line of site to the tower and the next doors kids have got 1 watt handhelds and pick it up clear
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Maybe the squelch is up too high ? other than that sounds like possibly an icom fault ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

bananaman wrote:i just got an icom ic41s and can only get about 2 km range on uhf is this about right or should i be getting further than that
Is it a 41 or a 42. Title contradicts the post.
Mitch Rogers
SunnybankScan

Re: Icom IC41S

Post by SunnybankScan »

I have made corrections based on user comments and knowledge that there is no such thing as an Icom IC42S. I think he means IC41S.

In reply to your question. This unit should be giving you outstanding performance, with full 5 watts and at least 4-5kms
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
bananaman

Re: Icom IC-41s

Post by bananaman »

Sorry 41s. I am new to the whole internet thing so my typing skills aren't the greatest.

Think I might take it back and get them to check it cause it isn't working anywhere near as well as you would expect.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

bananaman wrote:Think I might take it back and get them to check it cause it isn't working anywhere near as well as you would expect.
Good idea.
Mitch Rogers
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

bananaman wrote:Sorry 41s. I am new to the whole internet thing so my typing skills aren't the greatest.

Think I might take it back and get them to check it cause it isn't working anywhere near as well as you would expect.
Nah its ok mate, no worries. Before you jump to conclusions and take it back, check the settings, you sure you haven't got it set to a lower power output, and if you are living in an area with lots of obstructions or in a low lying area, this performance could be expected. I will tell you, when I first bought my Uniden UH075 years ago, I was extreamly dissapointed, I was hardly getting 1-2 kms on full power. I upgraded to a UH078sx for the inbuilt scanner feature and there is no difference.

Where abouts did you buy it from?
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Make sure you are using repeater chanels 1-8 otherwise they are simplex and 1-2km straight line range would be expected, but for you not to be recieving 7 I would say somethings wrong.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Rochedalescan wrote:Make sure you are using repeater chanels 1-8 otherwise they are simplex and 1-2km straight line range would be expected, but for you not to be recieving 7 I would say somethings wrong.
1 - 2 k's a bit poor isn't it?
Mitch Rogers
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

I bought it from Olbis Communications and they programmed it for me, I do have it set on high output as thats what I thought it was. The scanner isnt to bad as I can pick up the Police as far as Cunninghams Gap and Lowood
Last edited by SunnybankScan on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation and Wording Error
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

To tell the truth, I don't actually think you bought a dud radio. This is common for UHF handhelds in the CB range. Scanners always receive better than CB's as well.

Its really up to you. You could take it back to have it looked at? Or just stick with it. Its the top of the range UHF handheld for Citizens Band. You can't go wrong with an Icom.
Last edited by Stretch on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Spelling
Cheers
SunnybankScan

bananaman

Post by bananaman »

radio_$cott wrote:Are you using it with an external antenna? If not then I'd say you would be lucky to be getting that distance while driving. Hand helds are great (and you have on of the greatest ever built) but the lack of and oomph with their standard antennas is and always a problem. If you were to get an arial on the outside of your vehicle you would notice the difference.
My soon to be wife refuses to let me attach the "stupid stick" to her precious car. I mainly use it while at home so would be interested on ideas of how to attach it to an external aerial at home. Does anyone know if they make attachments for this?
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

bananaman wrote:
radio_$cott wrote:Are you using it with an external antenna? If not then I'd say you would be lucky to be getting that distance while driving. Hand helds are great (and you have on of the greatest ever built) but the lack of and oomph with their standard antennas is and always a problem. If you were to get an arial on the outside of your vehicle you would notice the difference.
My soon to be wife refuses to let me attach the "stupid stick" to her precious car.
:lol: Love it :D