On the subject of Encryption

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
railscan

Re: On the subject of Encryption

Post by railscan »

vkcpolice wrote:ril scn i i have already explained on many forums pages how encryption puts people at risk please dont make me repeat myself yet again
I haven't seen anything regarding risk on other forums, enlighten me.

And what about answers for the other two questions?

R
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

vkcpolice wrote:

Let's go back to just prior to the MMR Network coming in to Victoria. There was a 'gangland' killing. What did the killers have in their car to assist them in evading Police once they had shot their victim. A scanner.
there is no evidence for this
I'm quickly drawing the conclusion you have no idea on these matters or assume because you have no knowledge of it then it didn't happen.

There is evidence out there of what I suggested and it is actually fact and has been before the courts.

Look in to the murder of on 25 October 2003 of Michael Marshall. There was an audio surveillance device inside the killers van. Immediately after the killing as the killers are driving away and those listening to the audio surveillance start calling their bosses to tell them 'something is up' you can CLEARLY HEAR the killers scanner going off over the audio surveillance listening device. Can you guess what killers were listening to?

That right, police communications, and why? To assist in them evading police roadblocks that were immediately being put in place after the shooting and to try and confirm then and there the victim was indeed dead.

Ignorance or lack of information on your part does not mean 'no evidence'.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Just a quick footnote to my post above. Here is another example from a matter in Melbourne involving a killing.

Nice reference to a scanner made. The other items mentioned with the scanner are a beanie and a gun. Interesting combination.

From the article:
Mr Tinney said as Mr Chartres-Abbott left his home on June 4, 2003, with his girlfriend and her father, the deceased said "Oh my God". His girlfriend said she heard two shots in quick succession.

The shooter would later tell police that he put himself between Mr Chartres-Abbott and his two companions and aimed his first shot at his chest and his second hit him in the neck.

In detailing allegations about the "getaway", Mr Tinney said the shooter and Goussis drove to Flemington, where Mr Waters was waiting and that Goussis gave him the handgun and "perhaps the beanie and a scanner" for safe-keeping.
Entire news article: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/vampi ... 2gae8.html
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

We all need to take a deep breath, settle down and bring the topic back on track
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

probably a good time to a lock on the subject
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Put a lock on the subject i meant. Just notice i cant amend errors in my posts.
NakedFaerie

Post by NakedFaerie »

Encryption also hinders the public from helping. before encryption we could hear the missing person calls come across and we could help find them. These days its too late when the cops tweet it days or weeks later.

There are other cases where hearing police radio can help us, like accidents we can avoid the area and not causing traffic jams, we can hear domestics that friends are involved in and go around and stop it before it becomes a siege situation which the cops love these days, or just about anything where the public are in danger we avoid or we help. All that is gone because of encryption.

SO you punish the mass for the crimes of the few, typical.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

NakedFaerie wrote:Encryption also hinders the public from helping. before encryption we could hear the missing person calls come across and we could help find them. These days its too late when the cops tweet it days or weeks later.

Some people have an over-inflated belief in what their role is when scanning, in particular with emergency services. The purpose of police and emergency service radio is not to 'muster' help or put information out to the public - it is for the communication between their staff, nothing more. It is not, as some people seem to think, to inform you of a missing person, a traffic problem or your friends domestic fights.

Scanning is a hobby - don't make it anything more than that. If the emergency service wanted your individual help they would call you. If you want to become involved, join an emergency service.

Don't make the issue of encryption bigger than it actually is. The number of scanner uses is minuscule, and the number who actively listen to police is even smaller. The number of people who legitimately need to listen to the police and who will no longer be able to can likely be counted on one hand, and no doubt they will be accommodated for as they have been in all other areas where encryption has been implemented.
railscan

Post by railscan »

peteramjet wrote:
NakedFaerie wrote:Encryption also hinders the public from helping. before encryption we could hear the missing person calls come across and we could help find them. These days its too late when the cops tweet it days or weeks later.

Some people have an over-inflated belief in what their role is when scanning, in particular with emergency services. The purpose of police and emergency service radio is not to 'muster' help or put information out to the public - it is for the communication between their staff, nothing more. It is not, as some people seem to think, to inform you of a missing person, a traffic problem or your friends domestic fights.

Scanning is a hobby - don't make it anything more than that. If the emergency service wanted your individual help they would call you. If you want to become involved, join an emergency service.

Don't make the issue of encryption bigger than it actually is. The number of scanner uses is minuscule, and the number who actively listen to police is even smaller. The number of people who legitimately need to listen to the police and who will no longer be able to can likely be counted on one hand, and no doubt they will be accommodated for as they have been in all other areas where encryption has been implemented.
Exactly, 110 percent. And thanks, saved me a lot of typing.

R
NakedFaerie

Post by NakedFaerie »

I see what your saying. If the number of people who listen to scanners are so small then there would be no need for encryption would there?
They have it for a reason, either they are paranoid or there is a real need and as you said the people listening are such a small amount then it comes down to their paranoia for the reason for encryption.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Actually there still would be given that some of that small element use the ability of being able to monitor Police communications to carry out unlawful acts also. It's not only about private information.

Nice try though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

NakedFaerie wrote:They have it for a reason, either they are paranoid or there is a real need and as you said the people listening are such a small amount then it comes down to their paranoia for the reason for encryption.
You still seem to think the police use radios just so you can listen in. It's their own private network, built for their own use. Surely it's not that hard to understand.

The paranoia seems to rest squarely on your side of the fence.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

A lot of towies resort to some form of scrambling or encryption to prevent monitoring - their paranoia is about rival firms pinching their information to get towing jobs = $ lost
I understand that a lot of towing firms have moved to 800Mhz TETRA because of the great difficulty in being monitored by other towing firms
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

there is no evidence for this
Rubbish , there's plenty of it ... if you didn't have your head stuck in the sand !!

nearly any one that had anything to do with any criminal activity had a scanner back in the day ,

I know for a fact that back in the day when one of my local "drug dens " was raided , they found not one but several scanners ,
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au