USDS100 and DMR

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Codeone

USDS100 and DMR

Post by Codeone »

Hi All, I have just purchased an USDS-100 scanner. I am quite familiar with how scanners work and have owned many for over 30 years.
Now I must admit DMR has got me scratching my head in regards to how it scans.

My question is, if I have a DMR system set up in a favourite, does the scanner behave like it does when scanning a system like the MMR or RMR or GRN system, that is.....check for activity and move on if no signal is present?

What happens now is when the scanner stops on the DMR frequency, it stops.....it does not continue scanning.....Is this how it is supposed to work? I think not..........Can anyone help me solve this dilemma please?

From what I can see the system is a DMRT3 system, colour code 1, Slot 1.

Thanks in advance.

CodeOne. GS.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Re: USDS100 and DMR

Post by Kazzaw »

A DMR Teir 3 system has to be programmed in as that and not a conventional channel or else it will forever scan the control channel
watertanker99
Newly Registered Users

Post by watertanker99 »

The system needs to be programmed as a DMR most likely a MotoTRBO system. The setup is similar to a P25 (MMR/RMR) system, however you will need the LCN's as well. This can be found through Analyze > LCN Finder feature.

Feel free to send me across the system and I may have some LCNs already for it.
Codeone

Post by Codeone »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I think I might be slowly working this system out.
I'm not 100% sure the system is active although I have been told it is being used by the local bus company.

I have set it up as a Motrtrbo system and I have found 2 frequencies that I believe are associated with the site.

It is licensed as a Crosscom system in Mildura Victoria.

When I just use SEARCH, the system comes up on 163.0125, Color Code 1 DMRT3 Slot 1.

I tried the analyse function yesterday but didn't see anything.....however I think that my be due to lack of activity on the weekend.

Thanks for your interest and hopefully you can make sense of what I have written.
Regards, Code One.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

On quiet systems it can take a while for the LCN finder to locate LCNs. Basically the USDS watches the control channel, once it sees a channel grant (someone keying up) it searches the rest of the channels you have assigned to that site and detects which one has voice. It can then tie the LCN to the frequency
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Codeone wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:37 am Hi, thanks for your reply.
I think I might be slowly working this system out.
I'm not 100% sure the system is active although I have been told it is being used by the local bus company.

I have set it up as a Motrtrbo system and I have found 2 frequencies that I believe are associated with the site.

It is licensed as a Crosscom system in Mildura Victoria.

When I just use SEARCH, the system comes up on 163.0125, Color Code 1 DMRT3 Slot 1.

I tried the analyse function yesterday but didn't see anything.....however I think that my be due to lack of activity on the weekend.

Thanks for your interest and hopefully you can make sense of what I have written.
Regards, Code One.
LCN Finder function is only useful when the system is active.
If the system is used by a local bus company, best times could be around school/work times (7-9am; 3-6pm).

As that site only has 2 freqs, the LCN finder should be very quick during peak bus times.
Codeone

Post by Codeone »

I think I have worked it out. I used the Analyse function today and it came up as "Scanning LCN, 1/2 Found". I left it on for a while but I didn't see it say 2/2.....but it asked if I wanted to save the one that it had found so I did and I started to hear the local bus company!!!

So I think it is a 2 frequency system, I don't know if there is another LCN or not but I will try the analyse function again and see what happens.

So far so good! I appreciate all your help.

:D
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

If you connect to your PC and read from scanner, you will be able to see which frequency it found an LCN for. If it's a tier 3 system, you can then use a program called DMR Tier 3 calculator (https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... ii.395387/ ) to pin together frequencies from the system on other sites (if it is a multi site system)

It's likely the 1 LCN it didn't find is the control channel, as it is uncommon for the control channel to carry voice unless absolutely necessary (all other frequencies/slots are full)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

As Kazzaw said, connect to computer and use Sentinel to read from scanner.
Make sure you select to overwrite what you have on the computer.

Your other frequency should be 163.1625.
Codeone

Post by Codeone »

Thank you, yes a friend did the calculations for me with the above mentioned calculator and the LCN that the scanner found was 196 and it WAS on 163.1625....according to the calculator the CC LCN should be 171.....I have put that in manually and I will see what I can hear tomorrow!

Thanks again for your help. :D