HELP! 'No battery' problem!

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
alan22

HELP! 'No battery' problem!

Post by alan22 »

Got my new UBCD436-PT. Placed the batteries. Unit dead probably because batteries as yet uncharged? Connected charger. Unit now alive. Checked set to NiMH. Switch off. Now see message 'No battery' Yes, they are put in the right way. Voltage over 5 on screen with charger plugged in. Unit dead with charger unplugged. Tried some other NiMH that I have. Worked fine. Faulty cell/s supplied?
alan22

Re: HELP! 'No battery' problem!

Post by alan22 »

Go it! One of the new supplied cells was completely open circuit. The other two were typical for uncharged NiMH (about 0.372 V)
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Pac-Tel confirms some cells found to be faulty. New set being sent.
alan22

Post by alan22 »

New cells received. Good service throughout (including some routine queries) from Pac-Tel.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

What brand are they?

My 436 was the HP (US) version, which came with green/orange colour ones, no obvious brand apart from "www.corun.com" in small letters and made in China.

I ended up changing to the Japanese Eneloop Pro brand, and had no issues with them over the 4 years I had the unit.
alan22

Post by alan22 »

They are Corum 2300 mAh. Green and Gold.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Yep, same as the ones my 436 originally came with. A couple died after a year or so, with very little use and charging, hence changing to the Eneloop brand.

If not already, you might consider using an external charger rather than charging the cells internally with the 436. Unless something has changed, I don't think the 436 has charging cutoff circuitry (i.e. detecting when the cells are fully charged and then stopping or reverting to trickle charge). Instead you set the charge time, which means the cells can be overcharged unless you keep an eye on things.

There is something to be said for having a spare set of cells, ready to be swapped over if required. An external charger usually charges the cells quicker than the 436 too.
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Noticed that. The set gets very warm at the end of a charge, which may mean that. Have never seen the message 'Fully charged' although it's in the manual. I do have an external charger and several 'Powertech' 2500 cells