Icom 41w programming question

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
mcllama

Icom 41w programming question

Post by mcllama »

Hi Radio Gurus!

I've got a handheld icom 41-w 80ch radio that I'm trying to program with some private channels.

I've got the software, cable etc and I can adjust settings no problem.

It looks like I can only add 4 tx/Rx private channels. I want to add a 5th though but it looks like the 5th channel through to Ch 128 is allowing Rx only.

It looks like the software won't let me change the status of the channels at all. It comes up with edit restricted when I try to change the status. This restriction applies to all channels

Is this a limitation of the software, radio or something else?

Let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll throw up some screenshots

Cheers
radiotronics

Re: Icom 41w programming question

Post by radiotronics »

mcllama wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:22 pm ...It looks like I can only add 4 tx/Rx private channels. I want to add a 5th though but it looks like the 5th channel through to Ch 128 is allowing Rx only.

It looks like the software won't let me change the status of the channels at all. It comes up with edit restricted when I try to change the status. This restriction applies to all channels

Is this a limitation of the software, radio or something else?...
Hi @mcllama

There are multiple versions of the CS-41S software. And to add further complications, there are user and dealer versions. You most likely want CS-41S #11 v1.2.

It has been discussed extensively on this forum. But the most comprehensive thread is by far here.

Remember though, in order for the channel to appear in your list on your radio, it has to be enabled by selecting "Appear" in the "Inh" column.

Good luck.
My nickname is Tech (because I've been known to be quite technical).
I work for a well known radio dealer... as a Tech-lead.

My scanners are: AOR AR-DV1 and SDR#
mcllama

Post by mcllama »

Hey mate,

Thanks for the reply.

I can get the channel to "appear", it just looks like I can't set it to TX/RX. It's locked on RX only and if I attempt to change it, the program says edit restricted.

https://imgur.com/a/MOQhaOh

I'm running CS-41S rev. 1.3...not sure if dealer or user version unfortunately, just found it searching the web.

I'll have a look at the version posted and give it a try.
mcllama

Post by mcllama »

Hahahaha Ok I'm an idiot! I had TX inhibited on that channel. Only just realised. *facepalm hahaha

Although have one more noob question....does changing the W/N setting change the bandwidth? I need to set the bandwidth to 12.5khz. I'm assuming W is for 25khz and N is 12.5khz?

https://imgur.com/a/ZDYEAmZ
radiotronics

Post by radiotronics »

mcllama wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm Hahahaha Ok I'm an idiot! I had TX inhibited on that channel. Only just realised. *facepalm hahaha
Don't be too hard on yourself. That catches lots of people out.
mcllama wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm Although have one more noob question....does changing the W/N setting change the bandwidth? I need to set the bandwidth to 12.5khz. I'm assuming W is for 25khz and N is 12.5khz?
UHF CB in Australia is 12.5kHz now. The full spec is here on Wikipedia. So set UHF CB channels to N.

But if you're adding private ACMA licensed channels, the channel spacing would be either 12.5kHz (N) or 25kHz (W). So just select whatever it says on your licence.

mcllama

Post by mcllama »

Awesome! Thanks for the help 😊 the licence requires 12.5 so N it is.

One more I promise....

Using the user version of the software, can I turn off the selcall function?
radiotronics

Post by radiotronics »

mcllama wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 am Using the user version of the software, can I turn off the selcall function?
For questions of this nature, all Icom software has comprehensive help files which can be accessed by clicking "Help" along the top then "Contents" from the dropdown.

You can search for what you need like this:
selcall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcllama

Post by mcllama »

Hey mate, Thanks for the heads up, just tried to look for the help file as I have a few questions with the settings but it looks like help is no longer supported by windows if you're using win 10 (which I am) :(

Anyone able to screenshot the help section for the settings for continuous tone by any chance?

Nevermind....found the hack to get windows help working on Win 10!
radiotronics

Post by radiotronics »

mcllama wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:30 pm Hey mate, Thanks for the heads up, just tried to look for the help file as I have a few questions with the settings but it looks like help is no longer supported by windows if you're using win 10 (which I am) :(

Anyone able to screenshot the help section for the settings for continuous tone by any chance?

Nevermind....found the hack to get windows help working on Win 10!
How strange. Myself and all the techs in our workshop don't seem to have this issue. All programming software help files seem to work on Windows 10 for us.