When does the VicPol rural encyrption start ?

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

I thought it started on July 1st 2017 ( yesterday ) , but alas , NO.

Any updates ,please ?

Thanks.

Nirvana
X-Firey

Re: When does the VicPol rural encyrption start ?

Post by X-Firey »

Last I heard was that the 'rollout' of new equipment was supposed to start mid 2017. That's around now.

To date I haven't heard of any new radios being installed or the like. That doesn't mean there is not a couple of hundred new radios sitting in a warehouse somewhere ready to go.

Keeping an eye/ear on the current network and the RMR for any new activity or testing. Nothing apparent yet.

Slightly 'off topic' I recently read that the Sherriff's contract with their current communications provider (SMR) ends in October this year. So that will be another one to watch. They were also looking at other options to the MMR/RMR networks. So it will be interesting to see what they do then.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Ive heard a lot of telstra techs asking for radio checks on East P2 so i dont think its far of from happening i have seen a few of my local police carry tait radio's and not there motorola ones so it most likely a matter of pushing the on button
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Thanks for that info scannerman...
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

Thanks fellas.

A case of waiting for silence over the airwaves , i guess.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Not to worry. Plenty of other stuff to listen to
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

As scannerman said 'Plenty of other stuff to listen to'.
If not interested in monitoring the fire services or ambos a scanner with DMR/NXDN capability certainly opens up a whole new world...
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

When VicPol go all secret squirrel ,then i`ll go back to what i bought it for in the first place and that was to monitor the CFA during the fire season because i live in a very heavily forested area. Having said that , i have now got the Broadcastify app back on my phone and listen to some of the U.S police channels, but have no idea where the places are that they talk about.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

I must admit when i lived in melbourne i listened a lot to the country channels and used the scanner app to listen to the states but i had the same issue no idea what there talking about i have since moved back to my hometown now in the middle of bush and paddocks but i no longer have the need to listen to police. just fire service. not saying im not gonna miss turning the dial to 163.8500MHz on a fri and sat night 8)
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Any word on which channels are going to be going encrypted? Is it only some of them or is the rest of the state switching over to encryption?

Listening to the VICPOL channels currently on Broadcastify, most of them still sound like they are analogue or am I wrong? I only assume this because you hear that scratchy sound and the end of transmissions which I have never heard before on digital transmissions.

Regarding listening to the states, I find NYPD not too bad to listen to and they are easy to understand if you know some of their basic codes ect. All the rest are pretty hard to grasp I find. I'm still surprised that most of the US still appears to be unencrypted, especially the NYPD given that they are high terrorist targets and I assume it would be easier to implement digital encryption in a city rather than rural area's. Also you would expect the states to be way ahead of us in protecting Police communications. Once VIcpol switches over to encryption i'm pretty sure that it is only 3 NSWPF channels and the top half of QLD that are left making all of Aus ecrypted (Police only of course).

Steve.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I would guess that when rural VicPol go over to the RMR network it will be the same as Melbourne metro area.
That is all operational channels will be encrypted. However they do have run a few channels in the clear. These are used for training purposes.
fletchba

Post by fletchba »

Never really understood the push by VicPol to go secret squirrel with most of the US in the clear.

I do know that very early on that each Division was going to have one encrypted channel for specific chatter, but each of the zones would remain in the clear. Or was that the other way around?

But someone (or a couple of someone's) very high up all of a sudden said full encryption or die..... And that is where we are today.

Also know a detective who is no longer serving that did a raid many years ago and the scroates had a room with a "lot of gear" that allowed them to listen to encrypted transmissions.
Up until that point the original key was still be used, now the key is changed regularly (how often that is I can't say, not for security reasons, I just don't know.)
It was very disappointing that the detective didn't understand the setup to be able to explain it as I was very curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Encryption is a fact of life and the subject has been flogged to death on various forums.
When it happens there will not be much we can do about it. It's the world we live in...
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Because in Australia we have no freedom of information Encryption is the beginning of the new world order!

THE MORE PEOPLE LOCK THINGS UP THE MORE THEY HAVE TO HIDE
IanG3145

Post by IanG3145 »

nirvana wrote:When VicPol go all secret squirrel ,then i`ll go back to what i bought it for in the first place and that was to monitor the CFA during the fire season because i live in a very heavily forested area. Having said that , i have now got the Broadcastify app back on my phone and listen to some of the U.S police channels, but have no idea where the places are that they talk about.
You can't. CFA are going digital unencrypted.
Last edited by IanG3145 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake

Post by Blake »

IanG3145 wrote:You can't. CFA are going digital encrypted.
I believe not.
The VFBV has released as statement outlining why.
They may however, sometime in the future, move to P25 TDMA Phase 2.
Which is not encrypted, all you need is a capable scanner.
Except for metro boarder districts, other districts are currently digital, just Phase 1 though.

Cheers mate.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

scannerman wrote:THE MORE PEOPLE LOCK THINGS UP THE MORE THEY HAVE TO HIDE
Information security - specifically the protection of personal information - is far more of an issue nowadays then it was in years gone by.

No doubt you use HTTPS when you log onto secure websites, use WPA2 for secure wifi, likely have security measures on your mobile phone and keep your PIN on your credit/debit cards to yourself. You don’t do this because you have anything to ‘hide’, you do it to ensure your personal information is secure.

Using digital and/or encrypted radios should be viewed in the same light - emergency services taking steps to secure information.
snigglemunch

Post by snigglemunch »

Edit.
madmarto

Post by madmarto »

It happened this morning. P district switched over at 10:22am
Uniden UBCD396XT with UBC-RH96 remote head in the car; Uniden UBC73XLT (PDW), UBC396XT and UBCD436-PT at home.
SP70
Newly Registered Users

Post by SP70 »

Was a great little speech given by the VKC operator saying goodbye to the SMR radio network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk