Sydney Trains

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
melbournefan

Sydney Trains

Post by melbournefan »

Anyone know the frequencies for sydney trains and the light rail?
comport1

Re: Sydney Trains

Post by comport1 »

melbournefan wrote:Anyone know the frequencies for sydney trains and the light rail?
Hi

When i was in Sydney around February 2015, i questioned this, and was told Sydney Rail Network,(Electrification) that they have moved (or in the process) over to the GSM-R Digital Train Radio System that operates around the 1700MHz - 1800Mhz Area, or 1.7 Ghz - 1.8 Ghz. Can not monitor with Scanners. Also, aren't they on the NSW GRN P25 network? You may still here some (if little) traffic on 417-418 Mhz area, but not certain at all.

Someone on here should be able to confirm this, but i'm not located in Sydney.

Cheers
------------------------------------------
Comport1
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Some ST users are on the GRN but I don't think cab to control.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Analogue metronet is still in use throughout by crews and signallers + GRN P25 digital trunking by track staff, contract security etc
UGL who are installing the GSM-R under a $200 million contract are in the very early stages of trialling the new GSM-R in one region using a test train ie debugging
Most of the GSM-R towers are already in place

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/project ... dio-system
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

blacktown wrote:Analogue metronet is still in use throughout by crews and signallers + GRN P25 digital trunking by track staff, contract security etc
UGL who are installing the GSM-R under a $200 million contract are in the very early stages of trialling the new GSM-R in one region using a test train ie debugging
Most of the GSM-R towers are already in place

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/project ... dio-system
I heard it was only in use on the bondi line and that they will just trial it there, if i did go down there i will probably scan the line that goes thru the airport.