FORUMS CHARGING MEMBERSHIP

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I am not mentioning any specific Scanner forum by name, but I feel that I need to post here to see if anyone else has had dealings with a particular forum that charges a minimum joining $5 fee by PayPal. I discovered shortly after I paid the money that no-one has posted on the forum for over 18 months. This fact cannot be established until you have paid the money BTW.

I'm just warning you guys in case you feel inclined to cough up $5 that the forum is full of members the majority of whom, haven't posted anything. I feel I have been ripped off.

PM me if you wish.
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: FORUMS CHARGING MEMBERSHIP

Post by rochedalescan »

Yeah there are more than a few people who feel the same way .. That's a far as I will go on this topic. haha
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:
PM me if you wish.
Except you don't have PM enabled.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

rochedalescan wrote:Yeah there are more than a few people who feel the same way .. That's a far as I will go on this topic. haha
Glad I'm not alone on this.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Comint wrote:
AIRMAN wrote:
PM me if you wish.
Except you don't have PM enabled.

--
Comint
It is now Comint
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:
Comint wrote: Except you don't have PM enabled.
It is now.
Noted.

--
Comint
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I've never been a fan of the practice of charging a fee for;

- Accessing information which the greater mass of is readily available elsewhere;
- Was originally shared on their forum by its member(s) who obtained it from elsewhere (as in other sites or members);
- Was originally shared and provided to the forum in good faith when they didn't charge to access said information only to later be moved behind a pay wall.

I understand perfectly that there are costs involved in running sites, however I think sites that lock the bulk of the 'good stuff' behind a pay wall because they think they have the 'good info' and when said info was provided to them at no cost for their members/participants aren't really acting in the best interests of the hobby.

I have a few other 'issues' and 'concerns' with the practice but that will do for now. :wink:
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

I have never supported any forum or group which charges for membership.
hypal89

Post by hypal89 »

Was originally shared and provided to the forum in good faith when they didn't charge to access said information only to later be moved behind a pay wall.