Convo on 2 local VHF re the MMR & MDT's

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
turbine_prop

Convo on 2 local VHF re the MMR & MDT's

Post by turbine_prop »

Hi all.

Whilst doing some work today with the scanner going in the back ground I monitored an interesting conversation between 2 officers from a TMU station having a good old whinge about the failures of the MMR and the MDT's.

They were saying that they are for ever filing reports on black spots and failures with the MMR and thr MDT's in particular but nothing ever get done about it and that they are hearing similar reports from the guys and gals in the regional area's as well as the metro area's, this went on for about 10 mins they were saying that when they go to particular parts of the Melbourne Metro thank god they have the SMR to fall back onto other wise they would be fossicking in the dark.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
SteveO

Re: Convo on 2 local VHF re the MMR & MDT's

Post by SteveO »

I doubt that any of the complaints would be acted on. One thing I have seen with the government is even if they make stupid decisions everybody has to live with it and make it work, even if it doesn't.
Steve
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

They spent millions on a system that put lives at risk i dont see them going back to analouge and the roll out of digital in regional victoria is on its way with the new pretty sally digital tower not good news for scanner users. The hobby is becomming to expensive and complicated to understand how to program radios to monitor talk groups.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I think you know little about the system in reality, listen to the wrong crowd and are full of keyboard bravado. To blunt?

BTW for those interested Kinglake is also active alongside Pretty Sally on the new RMR Network. Testing has taken place on another new site also.
ymmlman

Post by ymmlman »

Best way to check how the systems compare would be to listen to something like an MFB dispatch channel on a Digital system, versus a CFA Region 7, 8, 13 or 14 Analog dispatch channel.

Last time I checked, there is zero requests to repeat information on the MFB channels, yet continual requests to repeat information or 'move to an appliance' on the CFA Vicfire channels. Remember on both systems, what you hear on a scanner is exactly what the operators and radios also hear.

Our CFA metro dispatch 'Analog' channels are rubbish, yet we only have portables to contact the MFB via the Digital system and have no problems.

The sooner we can shift across the better.