Category Green

Vkfour

Category Green

Post by Vkfour »

I am just listening to an incident on the Sunshine Coast and the QAS are reporting that two patients are to be transported Code Green. In many years of scanning, I have never heard this term. Can someone tell me what it mens? Ta.
alinco21

Re: Category Green

Post by alinco21 »

Has been around for years.
google Multi Cas incidents and there will be more explained.

RED: The casualty requires immediate medical attention and will not survive if not seen soon. Any compromise to the casualty's respiration, hemorrhage control, or shock control could be fatal.
YELLOW: The casualty requires medical attention within 6 hours. Injuries are potentially life-threatening, but can wait until the Immediate casualties are stabilized and evacuated.
GREEN: "Walking wounded," the casualty requires medical attention when all higher priority patients have been evacuated, and may not require stabilization or monitoring.
BLACK: The casualty is expected not to reach higher medical support alive without compromising the treatment of higher priority patients. Care should not be abandoned, spare any remaining time and resources after Immediate and Delayed patients have been treated.

Last edited by alinco21 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Thanks a lot. In all these years, I have never heard it, so I guess there is always something to learn.
DigitalAvatar
Newly Registered Users

Post by DigitalAvatar »

Does QAS use BLACK for that category alinco21? I believe most Australian ambulance services have always used BLACK for deceased patients only. I was also under the impression all ambulance services were adopting the new national standard SMART triage packs which also use BLACK for deceased patients.
Critical patients who are not yet deceased but considered unsavable under the circumstances used to be designated with a BLUE colour code.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

correct black are dead. blue not used a lot, but means as per above.
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

alinco21, could you shed some light on what is sent via MDT and what is over-the-air? From my understanding less Code 1 (and breaks!), everything else is MDT only.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

MDT - Mobile Data Terminal
Over the air - standard voice transmission
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Vkfour wrote:MDT - Mobile Data Terminal
Over the air - standard voice transmission
I think I'm misunderstood. What I meant was in what cases would the info be transmitted OTAR instead of MDT, besides Code 1 cases?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Basically, in many areas, MDT is too unreliable. In other areas, it doesn't even exist. Over the air ensures the info gets there. In Gympie, I often hear that the MDT isn't working, or has locked up, can't log on, can't log off, sent that information, didn't get there, and the list goes on. And whilst I am in Gympie, the QAS transmissions are for the entire Sunshine Coast and Gympie areas.
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Vkfour wrote:Basically, in many areas, MDT is too unreliable. In other areas, it doesn't even exist. Over the air ensures the info gets there. In Gympie, I often hear that the MDT isn't working, or has locked up, can't log on, can't log off, sent that information, didn't get there, and the list goes on. And whilst I am in Gympie, the QAS transmissions are for the entire Sunshine Coast and Gympie areas.
Thanks mate. To bad I live in the city itself. I hear nothing except Code 1s and "you've exceeded your break I'm putting you....".
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

all cases are received by the MDT, code 1,2,3,4's. Code 1's are confirmed over the radio just in case the GPS in the MDT is not reporting your loaction correctly back to CAD and there could be a closer unit.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Out here, in the deep woods,code 1, code 2 and everything else is also forwarded over the air. From listening, the GPS seems not to be a problem. The problem is with the actual data they send getting scrambled, or the machine just playing up. Also, crews may be in their station, not the vehicle, in which case it goes through the station radio. eg Gympie Station, Gympie Station, Alpha 452, this is QAS, Code 1, or 2, coming through now, or something similar.