Digital Encrypted Frequencies.

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
Matt8342

Digital Encrypted Frequencies.

Post by Matt8342 »

Hey Guys I have never really got the concept of the digital encrypted radio systems... I Live in Toowoomba and already know that some of the police vehicles are being fitted with digital radios in which I cannot access on my scanner. I am hoping that I do not lose the police frequencies altogether soon... Does anyone know of a way in which if they do go to digital shortly, a way I can still listen. Maybe one you friendly guys from Brisbane could give me hand??
Thanks Matt
Phil
Administrator

Re: Digital Encrypted Frequencies.

Post by Phil »

sadly the only people who can pick up the encrypted audio is the person who is encrypted, there are no special tricks you can use to still listen, once they go encrypted there gone, as for the P25 board for the SRM9000 it will get digital but will not decode encrypted messages
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Comint

Post by Comint »

WarrenSRM9000 wrote:OK, In answer to your main question...... NO, you cannot listen to the police in question,

It's scrambled and there will be no way you can listen to them.

Even our Victorian MFB is scrambled.
They are Encrypted _NOT_ Scrambled.

Two totally different things.

Scrambling is relatively easy to sort out.

--
Comint
Comint

Post by Comint »

CrazyCessna wrote:I understand that the QPS in Brisbane are currently running P25 Encrypted, but I have also heard that the QAS and QFRS have plans to go digital by the G20 summit. Does anyone know if they are going to encrypt their digital radios as well?
Google "the Government Wireless Network".

It is intended to be a Statewide, "Whole of Government" network, with the South East corner component in place in time for the G20 Summit. The documents imply that the QPS will also be part of that network, along with QAS and QFRS, and ALL services will be encrypted.

Bear in mind that they aren't even scheduled to sign the Contracts till about mid-2013, so anything could happen.

--
Comint
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

did not read that all services will be encrypted, but then again it's a large document.

did quote digital, but there are other formats of digital besides P25 as well.

we will just have to wait and see, but the change over is going to happen quickly compaired.
Matt8342

Post by Matt8342 »

Thank you everyone for all your replies, supplied me with heaps of info and answered my question exceptionally. :)
Thanks Matt
brisescannerdude

Post by brisescannerdude »

Vkfour wrote:QPS are already using P25, other services radios are P25 capable. Would be surprised if it weren't P25. The problem I see is that they can't get an analogue system to work over larger distances so I can't see how they are going to get digital to work properly. South East Queensland is a big area.
Yes there are a number of show stopper issues there now, a lot of places out west and north use VHF low and high band to get distance, the GRN only wants to use UHF which has put a lot of ses/councils/QAS/QFRS etc off side.

The issue with longer distances from what I have read comes down to changes in the signal over distances (caused by local weather conditions etc) and the abiltiy of the radios to decode correctly and in a timly manner. A digital radio can deal with a level of errors recieved in the data stream but the issues the becomes the abiltiy of encryption sub system to decrypt data with holes in it. (this is my understanding of my own reading, please add comments if not correct)

Also based on the comments of the police commissioner (over the weekend) and he want to move towards smart phones and tablets (which can also double up as radios with the right software) the GRN is looking like another newman waste of coin.

As for encryption - depends on what they are using and now much compute you can afford and how long you are willing to wait to decode it, on the other hand there could be something published tomorrow on how to decode AES and then it will be on for your and old.

Everything is breakable it is a matter of time
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

brisescannerdude wrote:
Vkfour wrote:The issue with longer distances from what I have read comes down to changes in the signal over distances (caused by local weather conditions etc) and the ability of the radios to decode correctly and in a timely manner. A digital radio can deal with a level of errors received in the data stream but the issues the becomes the ability of encryption sub system to decrypt data with holes in it. (this is my understanding of my own reading, please add comments if not correct)

The big push behind digital FTA TV stressed that a better picture quality could be had under conditions which would leave analogue somewhat degraded, in my experience digital signals were unwatchable & pixelated where similar strength VHF analogue was none-the-less watchable albeit without colour and with a degree of snow, I would imagine VHF digital signal would also reach this signal threshold and be surpassed by analogue readability beyond that distance...
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Comint

Post by Comint »

brisescannerdude wrote:Also based on the comments of the police commissioner (over the weekend) and he want to move towards smart phones and tablets (which can also double up as radios with the right software) the GRN is looking like another newman waste of coin.
The GWN, to give it its correct title, was being planned long before Newman even thought about entering Parliament. Probably since as far back as about 2004, so you can't really blame him for that one.

As for the Smartphones and Tablets, they are likely to be even more troublesome (read useless) in Regional and Remote areas, than the proposed GWN.

--
Comint
brisescannerdude

Post by brisescannerdude »

Comint wrote:
brisescannerdude wrote:Also based on the comments of the police commissioner (over the weekend) and he want to move towards smart phones and tablets (which can also double up as radios with the right software) the GRN is looking like another newman waste of coin.
The GWN, to give it its correct title, was being planned long before Newman even thought about entering Parliament. Probably since as far back as about 2004, so you can't really blame him for that one.

As for the Smartphones and Tablets, they are likely to be even more troublesome (read useless) in Regional and Remote areas, than the proposed GWN.

--
Comint
Take a look at around page 142/3 of this doco which was published June 2012
http://www.commissionofaudit.qld.gov.au ... lities.pdf

When you see the the costs, including on goings which have been listed all I can see is a project with his name all over it - may not be newman his self but it is his govt which pushed it.

Not sure about the smart phone and tablets - if telstra win the contract it will be more or less a no brainer as this is there real business now with 4G coming on line. I suspect the 'data network' funding couple be pushed into upgrading or adding more mobile coverage over deploying a new overlapping network.

---
Loulou
Newly Registered Users

Post by Loulou »

Encryption is here in the Mid Coast NSW. Ohhh, How I miss the daily soap opera of the goings on in my local community :cry: :cry: :cry: