Lack Of Marine Services In vic

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

Posting this around ..... getting some feed back

Ok a bit of a rant i guess ,

as a licensed marine station in Victoria i keep a bit of a listening watch , on the main marine chan's , and have noticed the lack of service to the marine users in Victoria , more so port Phillip bay and surrounding areas ,

while the coast guard do , do a great job and i would not dream of knocking them , as do the Melbourne control , there still seems to be a few things missing ,

regular monitoring , availability to get radio checks , weather , movement tracking just to name a few

over the last few months i have answered a few urgent calls break downs , etc , only because no one else was answering them most if not all of these were picked up down the line by coast guard etc , while getting details to pass on , i am always answering radio checks , and hearing calls for weather checks .

most if not all of this happens on the VHF band , very rarely do i hear any activity on 27mhz although it does happen ,

it seems to me that there is no resources , for the recreational boater to check in or get a radio check or weather in this area ,

what are your thoughts .................................................. .................................................. ........

before i get flamed , i am licensed to operate marine radio , i am also a limited coast station , so all my bases are covered , i have also had experience with the coast guard ,

again your thoughts are welcomed

how do we fix this problem ?????

do you hear or see a problem ????

have you had any experiences ????

have you heard any calls??

have you any marine licensees or marine gear or both ????

do you listen to the marine services much ????
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
justbad4you

Re: Lack Of Marine Services In vic

Post by justbad4you »

I LIVE IN BRIGHTON.I HEAR 27MHZ RADIO ALL THE TIME,VHF AS WELL.COAST GAURDS AND PILOTS AND TUGS DAILLY (AT LEAST EVERY 20 MINUTES) IM ONLY 500MTRS FROM THE WATER SO THAT MAY BE THE DIFF..MY SCANNERS,VHF MARINE RADIO AND MARINE 27MHZ IS ALWAYS BUZZING..I HAVE MANY MANY MARINE FREQS LISTED INCLUDING UHF WITHIN SHIP RADIOS AS WELL.........
donf+
Newly Registered Users

Re: Lack Of Marine Services In vic

Post by donf+ »

I support your message John.
I have had the occasion to make marine distress calls and had difficulty in getting any official response.
Also - test calls are unlikely to be responded to on HF - although VHF responses are pretty good from other users.

Regards
Don