My D.I.Y. Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
anthony

My D.I.Y. Antenna

Post by anthony »

When God was handing out handyman and D.I.Y. skills I lucked out. I usually make a mess of any construction or D.I.Y. task that I attempt, therefore, I just want to boast that I have successfully constructed an antenna with my own two hands! Unfortunately I can't take credit for the design as I followed a tutorial.

The antenna is designed for airband, however, it also works very efficiently on the emergency services UHF frequencies in my area.

I have included a couple of photos.

youngn
Forum Manager

Re: My D.I.Y. Antenna

Post by youngn »

That looks like a very clean job, well done! :)
"YOUNGN"
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

That looks very professional, which tutorial was it ? How much did it cost you all up in parts ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
anthony

Post by anthony »

rochedalescan wrote:That looks very professional, which tutorial was it ? How much did it cost you all up in parts ?
Thanks Shane.

Tutorial: http://www.aurfscan.com.au/showthread.p ... le-Antenna

It cost me around $50.00 in parts from Mitre 10 Mega. This included buying screws, terminals, rivets, zip ties etc. A lot of people already have these bits and pieces laying around.
anthony

Post by anthony »

youngn wrote:That looks like a very clean job, well done! :)
Thank you.
sgannon02

Post by sgannon02 »

The daztenna :D

Nice job... I have 2 here.... 1 for UHF and 1 for VHF....
--
UBC780XLT | UBCT8 | UBC330CRS | UBC72XLT | ICOM-AH7000 Discone | 1 x homebrew VHF Dipole | 1 x homebrew UHF Dipole

More to come!
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

What did yiou use for the centre? this looks like an interesting project for me, who, like you, has a few thumbs and not much idea on how to use them! Cheers!
anthony

Post by anthony »

Vkfour wrote:What did yiou use for the centre? this looks like an interesting project for me, who, like you, has a few thumbs and not much idea on how to use them! Cheers!
I'm glad there are others like me! hehe

The T-Piece that you are referring to is a Clipsal conduit 'T' piece.

If you are interested in building one of these antennas the instructions can be found at: http://www.aurfscan.com.au/showthread.p ... le-Antenna

Regards

Anthony
fireNZ

Post by fireNZ »

Nice job I am looking at making them for my radios. All I need know is a job to get the money. :)
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

fireNZ wrote:Nice job I am looking at making them for my radios. All I need know is a job to get the money. :)

Recycling is your friend... discarded TV antenna components, an old aluminium mop handle OR old PVC conduit/piping could be used to construct the elements (with coax/wire inside for your conductive elements), alternatively a PVC body with coat hanger elements would work too, the design and materials are only limited by your own imagination :mrgreen:

Here's an example where an individual has used a multi-tap wire distribution block and rigid wire/coat hanger wire lengths details can be seen HERE
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

Hi, whats the receive like for air band?
emergen

Post by emergen »

As Spectre stated recycling is your best friend and that way you can reduce your costs dramatically. Looks like a fantastic antenna BTW.
Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

Anyone able to get the directions for this DIY job as per previous posts? The link doesn't work as I am not a premium member of the forums where it was posted.

Cheers.