Complete newbie needs advise

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
FuhrerSheep

Complete newbie needs advise

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Hey Guys,
Nice to meet you all.

I've recently been thrown into the world of Comms and I'm lovin' it so far (He says while eating Maccas). But i'm still a little lost. I've recently beep appointed in the the QPS Academy in Oxley and before that worked in a radio station. So i've had alot of expirence around these lovely little things but never had the chance of purchasing one. I believe the time has come. I'm still learning all the terminology at the moment so stay with me haha.

I'm basically looking for something that I can mount in my car for Scanning (Comms receiving for those people who hate the term "Scanning") and just basic TX. If you can advise me on what I should look at learning this would also be a plus. Its just for basic QPS, QFRS and QAS Scanning and talking to a few mates who are already rigged up.

So please guys who clearly know alot about this help me out with what I should look at buying (everything that i will need to buy with the unit too would help!)

Kind Regards,
UHF-HUNTER

Re: Complete newbie needs advise

Post by UHF-HUNTER »

Hi mate and welcome to the hobby..

I'm not 100% sure was band those services are on as I am in NSW, but I think they are UHF

Depends on what brand takes your fancy..

Tait TM8250 comes in local and remote head 400-480MHz I have a mate whom is thinking of selling his. They are a great radio I have had 3 or 4 myself. Going rate is anywhere from $400 - $480

Motorola mcs2000 again in the local and remote head will also do 400-480MHz if you know someone with hacked software. Going rate is around $200 - $300

So there is a few to get you searching and be sure to look up the specs on these radios see if it suits you.

Hope this helps

Luke
Comint

Post by Comint »

FuhrerSheep wrote:I'm basically looking for something that I can mount in my car for Scanning (Comms receiving for those people who hate the term "Scanning") and just basic TX. If you can advise me on what I should look at learning this would also be a plus. Its just for basic QPS, QFRS and QAS Scanning and talking to a few mates who are already rigged up.
Just remember that QPS in most of the Brisbane area (Metro North, Metro South) is encrypted, so cannot be monitored.

--
Comint
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Thanks alot luke!

Great info.
I was looking at http://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh015sx_index.asp
Any thoughts? seems to be a basic unit but i've got a mate that can get me one new for $190
also what other things will i need to look at for mounting in a car? EG what sort of PSU do they use and whats the go with external Antennas?

Hi Comint

Yep all good im on the Gold Coast :)
So South East Dist and Logan isn't yet
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Welcome to the site,

The uh015sx will be okay for what you need however you will not be able to recieve QAS with this radio as their frequencies are alot lower than most of the radios you can program RX chanels into.

If your happy with just firies and police a uniden will be fine or maybe even look into the GME range, I have a GME TX4400 and it works great. For powering you can run it directly to your car battery or even wire it to the ignition if you only want it to work when the cars on. Antenna's it depends what you want big, small pricing varies maybe have a look at this site for your radio needs they seem to be one of the cheapest http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

Regards Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
UHF-HUNTER

Post by UHF-HUNTER »

FuhrerSheep wrote:Thanks alot luke!

Great info.
I was looking at http://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh015sx_index.asp
Any thoughts? seems to be a basic unit but i've got a mate that can get me one new for $190
also what other things will i need to look at for mounting in a car? EG what sort of PSU do they use and whats the go with external Antennas?

Hi Comint

Yep all good im on the Gold Coast :)
So South East Dist and Logan isn't yet
Uniden in the UHFs are a crap brand... GME tx4400 excellent unit, BUT you can get the newer models which are like 400-500MHz rx... If it was me personally I'd go a commercial radio if your willing to spend $190 on a 5W uniden (Junk, LOL) might as well splash out and buy a reasonable unit that will do what you really want...

You can get GME UHF antennas off ebay from as low as $50ea.. Was cheaper for me to buy them off ebay rather than a supplier my last job....
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

I agree with UHF-Hunter. Uniden, while making great scanners, make the most shitful UHF TXers ever. The TX audio is the worst you'll ever hear and the RX on them is so wide open, it's like hearing every freq on UHF, all on the same channel at once(Nothing but a horrible noise), don't waste your money on one if you are even half serious

You could buy a GME(they'd be my pick of the UHF CBs) but for something more useful, go buy something like an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood Amateur dual band radio(or the Alinco 8900 quad band)
these will let you talk on UHF CB(with an easy mod) and listen to not only all the UHF band but also the VHF commercial, Marine and usually the Airband as well

something like an Icom IC-208
Tiny compact size, and full featured radio that can be controlled fully from the mic
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Hey everone I've recent found out the only sort of radio that will work is a unit that has a display on the hand piece with a transceiver I can hide undermy seat. any sugestions that at gem or tait? No more then $400 if possible

Thanks
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

If you buy a Tait 2020 pay no more that $250, they are not worth any more than that despite what some may say
If you want a new radio look for a GME TX3440, has a remote controller mic and extra channels for scanning

Still think an Icom-IC208 would be better
have a look on Ebay for the chinese sellers with the Alinco dual and tri banders, less than $400