Advice: frequency input and scanner

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
dc8-63

Advice: frequency input and scanner

Post by dc8-63 »

Hi,
Does anyone know if it makes any difference to the speed of the scan if you enter frequencies into a bank in sequence, i.e. (in VHF/AM) 120.5, 121.6, 124.7 rather than mixing them up.
As an extreme example, does it slow the scan if you input, say, 120.5Mhz in AM on channel 1 followed by 13.865 Mhz in ssb on channel 2 and so on.
bodyguard

Re: Advice: frequency input and scanner

Post by bodyguard »

nothing that would be noticable
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

The scan rate can drop slightly if the channels are mixed up over various bands.
The reason is that the scanner has to switch the front-end and vco circuitry rapidly.
If you had all the airband channels in frequency order in one bank, then UHF channels on another bank and HF on its own bank (in freq. order), you would find the scanner would be marginally faster as the transition between channels wouldn't be so great.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Comint

Post by Comint »

dc8-63 wrote:Does anyone know if it makes any difference to the speed of the scan if you enter frequencies into a bank in sequence, i.e. (in VHF/AM) 120.5, 121.6, 124.7 rather than mixing them up.
Depends on the scanner.
As an extreme example, does it slow the scan if you input, say, 120.5Mhz in AM on channel 1 followed by 13.865 Mhz in ssb on channel 2 and so on.
On some older scanners, which had distinctly different front ends for each band, it could be quite noticeable.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

From my own experience with an AOR Comms receiver, UHF or VHF frequencies programmed randomly would not slow down the scanning rate to any noticeable degree, however, if you place a SSBHF frequency in a memory slot, it is better that it is in a bank among its own kind as if you squelch the signal, you may find it will be passed over even when transmitting.

If you wish to monitor AIR on USBHF you really need a different technique from UHF/VHF. With USBHF you have more chance of hearing air movements by sitting on a frequency with the squelch gate open and be patient, or hook it up to a tape player. most shortwave voice traffic is monitored this way with a dedicated shortwave radio receiver rather than a scanner see photo below of my Sangean TS 909 SWRX.on the left of the picture.

Piggus

Post by Piggus »

AIRMAN wrote:From my own experience with an AOR Comms receiver, UHF or VHF frequencies programmed randomly would not slow down the scanning rate to any noticeable degree, however, if you place a SSBHF frequency in a memory slot, it is better that it is in a bank among its own kind as if you squelch the signal, you may find it will be passed over even when transmitting.

If you wish to monitor AIR on USBHF you really need a different technique from UHF/VHF. With USBHF you have more chance of hearing air movements by sitting on a frequency with the squelch gate open and be patient, or hook it up to a tape player. most shortwave voice traffic is monitored this way with a dedicated shortwave radio receiver rather than a scanner see photo below of my Sangean TS 909 SWRX.on the left of the picture.

I like the scanner on the top shelf