What do reporters use

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Western Australia, covering Perth, Esperance, Wheatbelt, Kimberley, Peel etc
partyout
Newly Registered Users

What do reporters use

Post by partyout »

Hello

Interested to know how reporters and photojournalists find out about important events to rush to?

I'm guessing in the past they used police scanners, but now that it is all encrypted I cannot figure out the alternative.

Did a google search and could not get any answers.

Cheers
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: What do reporters use

Post by rochedalescan »

Well in QLD when Metro was encrypted they went to court under the freedom of information act and won therefor QPS allowing the media to have their own type of CAD filtered dispatch system. But you will find they monitor other agencies that are not encrypted or just decode pagers.

I think it's the same with WA though only Metro (Perth area) is encrypted not 100% though.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

What do reporters use

Post by Stretch »

I know in NSW they use a system called PEATS

Cheers,
Mitch
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Rogers
melbourneradio

What do reporters use

Post by melbourneradio »

This is an interesting I have come across a few media persons , that to my surprise still carry scanners most if not all have updated to the digital and a majority use uniden , I know this as I have programmed a fare lot in my are for them , the other thing is now they rely on tip offs prob more than ever before ,, If I'm not tied up doing something and I hear somthing of intrest I will call it in , once they used to pay but not so much any more , or as it has been said pagers or pager decodes I know one news room in this state has a pager decoder set up , so really much the same as they used to do it just changed streams with the change of availability of Comms , oh social media like twitter and to a lesser extent face book plays a huge part as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
mstrkrft

What do reporters use

Post by mstrkrft »

In brisbane we mostly use PDW, and uniden digital scanners scanning QAS, QFRS, QPS, (obviously only for Logan Ipswich and redcliffe), aviation and marine

Police have provided a program called MATCAD that was supposed to keep them legally accountable when they went encrypted In Brisbane but it is completely useless as the jobs rarely have a description and anything interesting will be delayed on there anyway

Also we all have a very good network of contacts that various people ring consistently throughout the day

We are constantly going to jobs all day a lot of which turn out to be nothing.. If a job has QAS or QFRS attached to it we will find out about it straight away 85% of the time
If its a brisbane QPS only job we might never know about it..

Our cars all have scanners in them but it's up to the crew if they want to listen to it all day or not.. The digital scanners are good though because occasionally on big operations the QPS will be unencrypted p25 if they are using a mobile police facility but that can only be heard if you're parked nearby