Hi

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for South Australia, covering Adelaide, Yorke Peninsula, Flinders Ranges, Kangaroo Island etc
j_buss
Newly Registered Users

Hi

Post by j_buss »

Greetings!
I'm Justin and I'm new here. I would like to purchase a scanner or GRN compatible radio for under $300. I would like to monitor GRN as well as other channels and talk to friends. What would you recommend? I live in SA and am a member of the CFS. Possible ones I can have in my car, I have two pockets of which I can remove and mount one, Obviouslt I will/can't talk on GRN but want to listen to them and be able to talk to friends as well as access the national emergency channels 'just in case'. What type of radios are they? my friend has some Uniden [will ask the model number] handheld for $200. Is that fair?
Comint

Re: Hi

Post by Comint »

j_buss wrote:Greetings!
I'm Justin and I'm new here. I would like to purchase a scanner or GRN compatible radio for under $300. I would like to monitor GRN as well as other channels and talk to friends. What would you recommend? I live in SA and am a member of the CFS. Possible ones I can have in my car, I have two pockets of which I can remove and mount one, Obviouslt I will/can't talk on GRN but want to listen to them and be able to talk to friends as well as access the national emergency channels 'just in case'. What type of radios are they? my friend has some Uniden [will ask the model number] handheld for $200. Is that fair?
I believe the SAGRN is moving towards APCO P25, which means you will need a Digital scanner, such as a UBCD396XT, to be able to listen to them. Assuming, of course, that they are not encrypted.

I don't know of any handheld that will allow you to listen to the SA-GRN, and yet be able to talk to your mates. At least NOT at the prices you have mentioned. You are probably looking at $1000, or more, for that ability.

--
peteramjet

Re: Hi

Post by peteramjet »

And there is no thing as a 'National Emergency Channel'. If you have a CB, then channel 5/35 on UHF and 9 on AM are the legislated emergency channels used Nationally, but they are not monitored in most places and you would be unlikely to get a response. I certainly wouldn't rely on them for a 'just in case' emergency.