Gippsland police chase: illegal broadcaster interrupts radio

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Pumper_50

Gippsland police chase: illegal broadcaster interrupts radio

Post by Pumper_50 »

Another moron.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 3ad238234c

AN ILLEGAL broadcaster posing as a ‘pirate’ reportedly interrupted police radio and tried to call off a car chase in Gippsland overnight.

Police were pursuing a car after an attempted armed robbery in Sale about 6.45pm.

A caller to 3AW claimed the chase was called off by an illegal broadcast made by someone speaking in a pirate voice.

“It wasn’t actually called off by police. It was an intercept on the police radio by (someone) described as a pirate and the chase was resumed once it was realised it wasn’t an official cancellation,” the caller said.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Kendra Jackson said: “throughout the incident there were a number of disruptions during the radio transmissions which are being investigated.”

It is alleged a man armed with a gun attempted to rob a store on Dawson Street in Sale.

He then fled in a stolen car, sparking a police pursuit through to Traralgon.

A 22-year-old Drouin woman was arrested, while a Warragul man, 21, was arrested on the roof of a shed nearby about 8.30pm.

The pair is currently in custody assisting police with their inquiries.
X-Firey

Re: Gippsland police chase: illegal broadcaster interrupts r

Post by X-Firey »

An absolute imbecile...

When VicPol (rural) follow their metro counterparts and go to encrypted comms we will still have some folk asking why?
Now you have the reason so don't bother asking...

Over the last few months there appears to be an increase in the interruption of rural police and CFA analogue communications by means of continuous 'button pushing'.
lysp

Post by lysp »

I was listening to that live.

In the middle of the pursuit there was a lot of broadcast traffic between multiple units.

In the middle of a busy transmission period there was a broadcast of "Terminate pursuit". It definitely sounded like it was an official command, although it was during a low speed, low traffic phase in a back street.

After the units disengaged the supervising sgt and esta operator went on to verify who issued the command. After about 20 seconds they realised it was unauthorised and re-engaged the pursuit.

The illegal broadcaster jumped in again and said "dont f*kn kill anyone".

A few minutes later the pursuit was terminated again, although it was official because the car started driving into oncoming traffic in an attempt to evade police. It took a little while to verify this second time and was only terminated with the chasing unit visually confirming with the supervisors car who called it off.

About 10 mins later the illegal broadcasters kept jumping in asking for "name checks", but it was obvious it was them because they weren't using proper call signs and were totally ignored by esta. The main confusion was because earlier it was just 2 words (terminate pursuit) straight after another broadcast.

Then a bit later on after that they kept jumping in dropping the C-bomb multiple times.. sometimes 15-20 times in a row, interrupting normal broadcasting and continued this for 20-30 minutes.

The major issue here was the car they were chasing was the result of an armed hold up in which a gun was sighted and possibly fired during the hold up. There were multiple times during the pursuit as additional units joined that they were issued a warning that the offender may have a firearm and to make sure they were wearing their vests, as there was a high chance of being shot at.

The illegal broadcaster would have been well aware of the seriousness of the chase and continued to interrupt.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I was monitoring as well and there could have been serious consequences considering a firearm was involved.
As I mentioned in my previous post there has been issues on the analogue VicFire channels. Someone has been doing a bit of 'button pushing' and their actions seem to increase some days and nights as the radio traffic increases or if there is a 'job' on. The broadcaster must be aware of what they are doing....

3AW news reports today that the Emergency Services Minister, Lisa Neville, has signed the contracts with Telstra for the new Police digital network. They went on to say that it is running behind due to some issues with coverage in the alpine areas. I'm guessing they want better coverage for portable radio operations. The new system is now due to be operational mid 2018.
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

There used to be a guy on youtube that posted pursuit incidents regularly from his scanner?
The account seems to have been deleted. Is there anyway these days to listen to the pursuits from the country areas?
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

On 7 News tonight Lisa Neville, Emergency Services Minister, stated that the contract signed with Telstra will provide encrypted digital radio for regional police and digital radio for the CFA in outer metropolitan areas....
strat

Post by strat »

anyone have the recording of this ?
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I haven't come across any audio on the internet yet but give it time...

Vic Government press release re digital radio at
http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/regional- ... tal-radio/
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

When VicPol (rural) follow their metro counterparts and go to encrypted comms we will still have some folk asking why?
Now you have the reason so don't bother asking...
theres still no reason for encryption....
Digital alone will stop pirate stations from gaining access to the network.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

scannerman wrote:theres still no reason for encryption....
Digital alone will stop pirate stations from gaining access to the network.
The media release isn't just about pirate stations. It's about securing the network so no one but the intended users can listen in - and encryption will solve that problem for them.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

The new world order begins....
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

scannerman wrote:The new world order begins....
Let's hope there are less paranoid ill-informed people that are part of it.
lysp

Post by lysp »

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/p ... -gippsland
East Gippsland CIU Detectives are investigating pirate transmissions occurring across the emergency services radio network.

One incident occurred on 29 August, when a transmission occurred which terminated a police operation in Sale.

It is believed the pirate is operating in the East Gippsland area.

Anyone with information or who may recognise the voice on the transmissions is urged to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or East Gippsland CIU on 5150 2662.

Hannah Rowlands
Media Officer
zelthk

Post by zelthk »

A few of us in gippsland need to start listening to the input frequencies to try an get a location on this person
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I swear the most recent event could've been two different people, but possibly using the same radio.

At times the voice(s) I heard sounded different from one pirate transmission to the next.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
lysp

Post by lysp »

Pumper_50 wrote:I swear the most recent event could've been two different people, but possibly using the same radio.

At times the voice(s) I heard sounded different from one pirate transmission to the next.

From memory:

The person who cancelled the pursuit sounded quite old with a deep voice (50-60s).

The person who was swearing a lot sounded young (20s).
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

lysp wrote:
Pumper_50 wrote:I swear the most recent event could've been two different people, but possibly using the same radio.

From memory:

The person who cancelled the pursuit sounded quite old with a deep voice (50-60s).

The person who was swearing a lot sounded young (20s).
Pretty much spot on.

Having the suspicious mind that I do I can't help but wonder if it was part of the plan.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Slightly off topic but the same theme unfortunately.

There was a brief communication between VicFire and a caller using the callsign 'Carrum Downs Station' during a house fire in Carrum Downs this afternoon. The station was heard talking to the crew not long after on the fire ground channel asking if they heard the transmission to Vicfire. The member at the station advised the crew that he was the only one in attendance a the station and the call/request had not been made by him...
michael
Administrator

Post by michael »

Here you go kids.

Chopped it up so you don't need to hear the whole thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.