Metro Trains

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
shuts63

Metro Trains

Post by shuts63 »

Good afternoon everyone. Could someone advise me of frequencies and the type of system that Metro Trains use. Have been looking up on the net and a few sites but to no avail. I'm one who tries to do research before placing posts on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
railscan

Re: Metro Trains

Post by railscan »

shuts63 wrote:Good afternoon everyone. Could someone advise me of frequencies and the type of system that Metro Trains use. Have been looking up on the net and a few sites but to no avail. I'm one who tries to do research before placing posts on here. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is 1800 MHz GSM-R (like the mobile phones). It cannot be scanned.

R
shuts63

Post by shuts63 »

Thanks for that Railscan. It's a pity as we could hear what the hold up is sometimes when the missus is on it. Sometimes I'm very close to Bayswater station so I'm curious George when it comes to radios.

blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

GSM-R and TETRA are the digital formats most rail transportation systems are switching over to, when they make the transition from analog.
Melbourne switched to GSM-R about 5 years ago
Sydney has switched over to GSM-R in the last year or so
The NW Metro in Sydney, as well as the new Sydney Light Rail project are both implementing TETRA
The age of scanning rail is just about over, if not already
shuts63

Post by shuts63 »

Hi Blacktown. I think that the age of scanning rail and other encrypted services will have a hernia for a while. My thoughts and beliefs are that someone, somewhere, at sometime will break the codes concerned and give us a much interested boost in scanning again. Just my thoughts only.

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Join here and your listening opportunities will increase tenfold; https://www.asd.gov.au/careers/index.htm

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
shuts63

Post by shuts63 »

Good one Pumper 50. Wouldn't want an old codger like me working for them. At least the sky would probably be the limit for my radio listening.