CFA Transportable Repeater

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Blake

CFA Transportable Repeater

Post by Blake »

This question was originally posted in my 'Abbreviations' thread, but it was better suited to a new thread I thought.

The question is:

How do you know which Transportable Repeater is for operation in which district?
I've hunted and hunted, tried chasing ACMA frequencies and registrations, and nothing has come of it.

If anyone might be so kind as to PM me: :)
I'm chasing which one are for operation in D20 and D22.
If anyone could help a bloke out, that'd be stellar :D

Cheers blokes.
X-Firey

Re: CFA Transportable Repeater

Post by X-Firey »

Hi Blake, I don't believe that there are currently any 'transportable repeaters' currently listed for use in District 20 or 22 at present.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Oh, ok, thanks. :)

I just assumed that there would logically be one of the many set aside for each district. :?

Oh well, question answered. :wink:
Thanks X-Firey.
madmarto

Post by madmarto »

Only one I've seen is carried by our local Group FOV. It can be set to operate on any of the CFA frequencies. This might explain why you can't find them listed anywhere

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Uniden UBCD396XT with UBC-RH96 remote head in the car; Uniden UBC73XLT (PDW), UBC396XT and UBCD436-PT at home.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Indeed it would.
Thanks for that bit of explanation madmarto.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I may have misunderstood the question. I was referring to the transportable repeaters currently set up on a permanent basis providing comms in some districts e.g TR 386 in District 08. I'm not sure of this repeaters location but it is regularly used for fireground communications in the Frankston area. I believe these 'Transportable Repeaters' are ex-VicPol.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Ok, no worries X-Firey.

I was referring to the 'magical suitcases':
The portable, quick to setup repeaters for fireground use in radio black-spots.
I would imagine each district would have one stashed away somewhere.
But I could be wrong. :roll:
Simon Snorkel

Post by Simon Snorkel »

TR386 in district 8 is a tactical repeater that is being trialled, currently there are 4 of these in district 8. They are mounted on the pumper to provide a local fireground repeater.

The old transportable repeaters have been phased out, the ones either in large pelican boxes or sometimes mounted on a trailer which were analogue Motorola mcs2000's. They were no longer supported by Motorola for repair and were no good for the transition to digital. The phase out was helped by a large number of extra IMC repeater sites built across the state to fill in a lot of black spots. Also Comms has a number of repeater trailers based around the state that get responded and deployed on request to incidents and events. Some of those have been SA floods, Morwell mine fires, NSW, black Saturday where sites got burnt out, V8's & MotoGP, Cadel Evans race in Geelong and those with a keen eye may have spotted one at Avalon this weekend operating on 388.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Ok, very interesting simon.

On the channel plan, 388 is listed to TR (Transportable Repeater) on 162.5375.

"Comms has a number of repeater trailers based around the state".
Any idea where they are?

Are they just floating?
At certain HQs?
At certain ICCs?
At certain groups?

Are they just sort of in a pool, and are provided upon request to wherever they're needed.
So, that would consequentially mean that there would be no official allocation to each district, just on a request basis, yeah?

Would these be the, for example, 'Communications 205 Mobile 1' on the RiD list?
Simon Snorkel

Post by Simon Snorkel »

They are where the CTSO's (Communications Technical Service Officers) are located so Bayswater, Wangaratta, Bendigo and in the future Ballarat.

The Comms 205 mobile 1 is the CTSO allocated to that position. The repeaters aren't given a radio ID as such they just pass through what is received
Blake

Post by Blake »

Beauty Simon, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for the clear, concise, focused answer.
Cheers mate.