P25 Transmission Loss

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Blake

P25 Transmission Loss

Post by Blake »

Wasn't sure where to put this; Uniden or here. So here is it.

I seem to currently be having problems with the RMR.
Listening to CFA Dispatch, I seem to sometimes 'loose' half of a transmission.

It's like a transmission, the Talkgroup pops up, sometimes even an RiD, but absolutely nothing is heard.
Then whoever replies and I can hear acknowledging it fine.

I'm in a static location, with an external antenna, getting full 5 bar signal on the control channel.
So I don't believe its that.

I'm mildly suspicious that the recent RiD's I put in may be slowing down the scanning to the point, where i'm loosing the beginning of transmissions. But i'm not sure?

Might there be any other reasons for this?

Cheers blokes.
Air493

Re: P25 Transmission Loss

Post by Air493 »

Is the scanner doing ID SCAN or ID SEARCH? If it is scanning (which is just the talkgroups you have programmed) it may be missing the talkgroup for the dispatch transmission.

My exposure to RMR is limited, so I am just guessing, although I have seen similar behaviour on GRN with linked/bridged talkgroups.
Blake

Post by Blake »

I currently have it in Search mode.
But it should not matter even if it was in Scan mode, as I have all the dispatch talkgroups programmed in.
There's only about 20 on the RMR, so hardy lots by any means.

Not sure???

I've tried removing some RiDs, and it seems a little better.
Because, not saying I did, but I may or may not have perhaps completely filled every single space possible in the system with RiDs. :? :shock: :lol: :roll:

Oh well, you live and you learn.

Cheers Air493.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie »

I think you're on the right track with the RIDs if it got a little better after removing some. The scanner is probably doing something stupid like scanning through all of them before starting audio, rather than just displaying the RID while it finds the right alpha tag for it.
Air493

Post by Air493 »

As you have all the talkgroups programmed, I would also lean towards RiDs being the problem. Remember the scanner will be trying to read and match the RiD received in the transmission with the ones it has stored. Assuming there are lots and lots of them, that takes both processing power and time.

Try deleting all the RiDs from the scanner and see what happens (if you haven't already).

And let us know the outcome :)
Blake

Post by Blake »

Well Air493.

I've had a play.
I've removed about 1/2 of the RiDs. :mrgreen:
I still want some, as I find them quite useful.
I've removed the little or no use RiDs, and just kept the ones from the immediate surrounding brigade locations.
Maybe each radio for the 1/2 dozen closest brigades.
THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. :D

I've also removed the alert tone from the 2 TGIDs that I had it enabled for.
It was only the shortest, single beep, but it still cut out the very first part of a transmission.
Not much mind you, but enough. :x

Result: NO PROBLEM!!! :P
Well, not really.

Now my problem is, that I'm (only very infrequently) losing the back end of a transmission.
Like, they will be talking and it will just go silent, TGID and RiD still displayed.
Then VicFire will respond back, that everything was heard.
It appears to just be me that's losing a bit of it.

Any ideas?

Again, static location, external antenna, strong control signal, all that.

Weird :?: :idea:
Air493

Post by Air493 »

Pass on that one. Aside from one night in Wodonga, I don't have much knowledge of RMR so I can't even guess why that is happening. It's not a problem I have come across with a 325P2 on GRN, so I've got nothing :D
novaboy032

Post by novaboy032 »

Not sure if anyone can help me my bcd436hp receives fine, but what I hear can be quite choppy even with a strong signal it's like someone hits the mute button every 5 or so seconds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie »

Blake wrote:Well Air493.

I've had a play.
I've removed about 1/2 of the RiDs. :mrgreen:
I still want some, as I find them quite useful.
I've removed the little or no use RiDs, and just kept the ones from the immediate surrounding brigade locations.
Maybe each radio for the 1/2 dozen closest brigades.
THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. :D

I've also removed the alert tone from the 2 TGIDs that I had it enabled for.
It was only the shortest, single beep, but it still cut out the very first part of a transmission.
Not much mind you, but enough. :x

Result: NO PROBLEM!!! :P
Well, not really.

Now my problem is, that I'm (only very infrequently) losing the back end of a transmission.
Like, they will be talking and it will just go silent, TGID and RiD still displayed.
Then VicFire will respond back, that everything was heard.
It appears to just be me that's losing a bit of it.

Any ideas?

Again, static location, external antenna, strong control signal, all that.

Weird :?: :idea:
Hmm... that's an add one. Could potentially be something to do with the way they're patching. When you say infrequently, is there any correlation to where the transmissions are coming from? Say you're listening to the D12 talkgroup which is patched to one of the far west ones, maybe the transmissions from the far west patch are dodgy.
novaboy032 wrote:Not sure if anyone can help me my bcd436hp receives fine, but what I hear can be quite choppy even with a strong signal it's like someone hits the mute button every 5 or so seconds

Got priority scanning enabled? Priority channels are checked every ~5 seconds for activity, even during active transmissions.
novaboy032

Post by novaboy032 »

Ahhh maybe I do...

Blake

Post by Blake »

Now there's and idea Bass Junkie.
Cheers.

I'll keep an eye out in future.
Maybe make a log with time and talkgroup?

Would it be possible if perhaps it was user error, like mic fright.
They key up to talk, but don't know what to say, so they release without saying anything.
Then---

Oh wait. Don't worry, because that wouldn't effect the back end, only those front end 'ghost keys',
(which are happening only infrequently now, instead of nearly all the time, after I cleared lots of RiDs).
And anyway, a key up should open squelch, which wasn't happening, so IDK???

Back end loss, well, it couldn't be user error (IMO), i.e. releasing the PTT too early, because other units are hearing and acknowledging the transmission fine, so it's either: on my end (something in the scanner/aerial setup), or something to do with the network (i.e. patching or something).

IDK???

I'll see how I go,
and Cheers for that Bass Junkie.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

The 436 models are prone for this issue. i noticed it years ago when i first purchased mine. i find the 396xt a much better handheld for portable opration it follows conversations very smoothly. i was hoping they would have fixed the issue by now with a firmware update. i did post on another thread how poor the coverage is on the 436 compared to the 396. put a 396 and a 436 together on a table and you will see what i mean