New Chum To Scanning

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
OzBassman

New Chum To Scanning

Post by OzBassman »

Hello Everyone. I have posted in Introductions too.

I am wishing to start out in scanning and have no idea what to buy and where to start. My wife and I have a spot in a caravan park at Inverloch on the Bass Coast. We are thinking of moving to either Inverloch or Wonthaggi full time.

I also like listening to short wave. I need a helping hand on where to get started and what I might hear in this neck of the woods on the Bass Coast. I was looking at the AOR AR-DV1. Then I heard of the yet to be released IC-R8600 and the R8 handheld scanner. With respect to the R8600 that goes up to 3GHz. Will I need to go so high? Or will I be happy with the AOR AR-DV1? Or something else?

When I listen to shortwave, I listen, for the moment to strong broadcasters like Radio New Zealand and Radio China.

Phillip Island is just next door with motor racing and possibly I could visit the track on race days to see what I can listen into. Other areas of interest would Marine HF and VHF, VHF Police, CFA maybe. To be honest I really do not know and would like to start out on the right foot. Money is not burning a hole in my pocket. So I am happy to take my time.

When it comes to radios. I like ones with knobs not computer driven SDRs. Nothing against SDRs, I just like radios with knobs.

Thank you for reading this.

Warm regards,

Paul.
X-Firey

Re: New Chum To Scanning

Post by X-Firey »

My initial thoughts would be a UBCD396XT presuming you don’t mind a handheld. This would cover your VHF/UHF requirements and receives P25 Phase1 digital, although Uniden has now ceased production of these units they can be purchased new for a good price and are an excellent radio.

If you wish to future proof things a bit and look at a unit that will receive P25 Phase2 digital also you may wish to consider the UBCD325P2, UBCD436-PT. both handheld units. There are no P2 systems in Victoria currently but the MMR and RMR are P2 capable and any new users to either network must now purchase P2 capable radios to allow for future planning.

The UBCD396XT and 325P2 are easy to program via various software that is available. I use Freescan and as the name suggests it is a free to download and easy to use.

If your interests go further into other forms of digital radio (DMR) you are looking at the top end of the Uniden market, BCD436/536 (US models) or the new Whistler range (TRX-1 or TRX2). Either make would have to be imported from the US as the DMR upgrade is not currently available for the AU Uniden models (UBCD436/536-PT).

All scanners on the market can still be programmed via the keypad. The Unidens are a little easier than the Whistlers in that regard. However as radio systems and scanners become more complex to monitor these systems programming via software is the way to go and keeps the blood pressure down…

You have picked a nice part of the world to live in… As to what you will hear on the Bass Coast and the ‘Island’ the regulars are always there i.e. CFA, Ambos, Police and VICSES, marine, the list goes on... VicPol (Rural) is expected to migrate to the RMR next year and no doubt will be encrypted. Plans are also underway for AV (Rural) to migrate to the RMR and VICSES to the MMR (metro units) and RMR (rural units).

I hope my thoughts help a little and give you some more ideas to read up on. It is very difficult to advise someone on what to buy as we all have such diverse listening interests and bank balances.