NSW police vehicle antennas

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
NayNay277

NSW police vehicle antennas

Post by NayNay277 »

G’day everyone. I’m after some information regarding NSW police antennas and if we the general public can use them on our private cars? Having them in the same location as them. For example the two large whip antennas on the rear of a Falcon or Commodore. Or would that be impersonating?
peteramjet

Re: NSW police vehicle antennas

Post by peteramjet »

There's no issues with having operational antennas in the same location - that's a long way from impersonation. But considering they mount large 3/4G mobile data and low band VHF antennas on the rear it's unlikely you'd even have a need for the same antennas in the same locations.

Depending on what antennas you need there are likely better places to mount them anyway, which would eliminate any concerns you have.

Unless of course you want to get the same antennas they use, even if they don't serve any actual purpose on your car, just to make your car look like a police car... ??
NayNay277

Post by NayNay277 »

I've got an RFI 5dbi uhf antenna on the rear of my Falcon but its only there to run my UHF radio. I like RFI and always have, was just concerned i'd get into trouble because it's the exact same appearance as NSW police use
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

no you won't have any issues until you mount a lightbar and police decals on your car
NayNay277

Post by NayNay277 »

Thanks mate