QPS Location based scanning

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
argustuft2
Newly Registered Users

QPS Location based scanning

Post by argustuft2 »

My wife has given me an ubcd396xt with a Garmin gps, not sure why but I am enjoying it. I have been looking through past posts and I found your comprehensive QPS channel list this is after I have mucked around with the ACMA site trying to compile QPS QAS QRFS. \to start I am going to concentrate on QPS.

I live near Emerald and i seem to get some two way conversations from Winton, Longreach, Blackwater and some Rocky QPS but also get a lot of one sided conversations from the "control room".
Ive seen comport1’s QPS list, “Nice” and would like to have the list coincide with location and groups/ regions change as I drive around, so I can hear the whole conversation not just one way.

My questions are;
Where do I find the main repeater locations?
Do I find this information on the ACMA site?
If so what do I need to look for to determine if a site is a repeater site or not.I don’t really want to load 100's of antenna locations, just the main towers so I can use the location to center the area and set an area radius if I can get away with it.
Any thoughts or directions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Comint

Re: QPS Location based scanning

Post by Comint »

argustuft2 wrote:Do I find this information on the ACMA site?
Yes.
If so what do I need to look for to determine if a site is a repeater site or not.I don’t really want to load 100's of antenna locations, just the main towers so I can use the location to center the area and set an area radius if I can get away with it.
If the frequencies are in the 467 to 470 MHz range, they are Repeaters.

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_ ... E_ID=17899 is an example of an ACMA entry showing the Lat/Long of a Repeater Site. The 467/458 MHz frequencies, and the 468/459 MHz frequencies, are "Repeater Pairs", and the 404/413 MHz frequency pair is a Link. So that Site has an Analogue Repeater, a Digital Repeater, and a Link to another Site.

Note that the Lat/Long is NOT in WGS84 format, so you may get up to a 200 metre error on the actual location.

--
Comint
Last edited by Comint on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Currently, the repeater split is 9.5MHz. If you are hearing one side of the conversation only, tune up 9.5 MHz and you should hear the repeater output, and both sides. If you put the frequency into the ACMA database and post codes of about 50 klm or so around you, it will bring up the actual location, together with other users. Alternately, and better yet, you can search between 467.000 and 470.000 and post codes about 50klm or so around you and it will bring them all up. Depending on your location, spread those post codes out to 100 klm or more. Have a bit of a look through this site for QAS and QFES frequencies and do the same for them. Don't bother too much about the link frequencies as they are low power and you really need to be in line to hear them.
argustuft2
Newly Registered Users

Post by argustuft2 »

Thanks comint and vkfour for your advice/guidance. Time for some homework and tinkering.