GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by terryhaynes »

HI,

I know most of you are aware, but I would like to reiterate to new members that the new Queensland Government Wireless Network WILL be 100% ENCRYPTED therefore no scanning/radio receiver can monitor it.

I wanted to mention this because I do not want to see our members spending their hard earned money on scanners such as the BCD436HP, BCD536HP and PRS-800 to find that they have wasted their money. I myself made that mistake back when the QPS changed over.

I guess this is the future of scanning.

Thoughts?

Terry.
brisescannerdude

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude »

There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

Truth be known there is a more towards more portable data devices like tablets which will move more traffic off this network so there will be less to listen to.

The 64million dollar question is - will the network expand in it's current form or are you looking at another white elephant?
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

brisescannerdude wrote:There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

Truth be known there is a more towards more portable data devices like tablets which will move more traffic off this network so there will be less to listen to.

The 64million dollar question is - will the network expand in it's current form or are you looking at another white elephant?
After G20 the network will be decommissioned, taken apart and rebuilt
Starting with South east + Ipswich, then Brisbane, then north to Gympie and out to Toowoomba
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
dizzie131

Post by dizzie131 »

I am in SA so excuse my lack of knowledge, but am curious as I am going to Brisbane this year and was planning to take my 396XT...
When is the network going encrypted?
Which services use the GWN?
My paging feed website: http://www.cfsres.com
Comint

Post by Comint »

dizzie131 wrote:I am in SA so excuse my lack of knowledge, but am curious as I am going to Brisbane this year and was planning to take my 396XT...
When is the network going encrypted?
Which services use the GWN?
The Government Wireless Network (GWN) is already encrypted, and long term plans are that all Users of the GWN will be encrypted.

The Police in the Greater Brisbane Area, have been encrypted for a number of years (P25 on Conventional repeaters).

The Police, Fire, and Ambulance will be using the GWN for the G20.

--
Comint
brisescannerdude

rapps_101 wrote:
brisescannerdude wrote:There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

After G20 the network will be decommissioned, taken apart and rebuilt
Starting with South east + Ipswich, then Brisbane, then north to Gympie and out to Toowoomba
Arrh ok - it will cost the govt 64 million to have that done.

Ambos have gone to tender on there non-radio based solution, there will be less comms on this network. QFRS will not be far behind.
damofordfestival

Post by damofordfestival »

Ambos are well and truly beyond the tender process for non radio based solution and have started to roll out this solution into its fleet about a month ago.
brisescannerdude

damofordfestival wrote:Ambos are well and truly beyond the tender process for non radio based solution and have started to roll out this solution into its fleet about a month ago.
Good to see they are leaving the 90's behind and moving on, that said there was a second tender up on the govt web site couple weeks ago asking for interested party's to quote on another 'ipad applications' for ambo's
damofordfestival

Ahh ok yes, I thought you may of been referring to the new MDT's currently being rolled out.
brisescannerdude

damofordfestival wrote:Ahh ok yes, I thought you may of been referring to the new MDT's currently being rolled out.
Yes I was, friends in the police are very happy with there solution except when they roam out of a LTE area back to 3g, hope the ambo solutions work just as well for them
damofordfestival

Are you referring to Qlite?
brisescannerdude

I'm not sure of the name of it but qlite sounds correct considering qprime is the main system.

Ambo and fire also have similar systems in various stages of deployment

Also if the friend is correct access to voice comms from gwn is also on the cards and from what has occurred overseas in US and EU already a reality. gwn may only have a short life in reality in qld.
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Yes Qlite is their Apple iOS app .
Sprocketz

Post by Sprocketz »

terryhaynes
Forum Manager

Post by terryhaynes »

Thanks for the update!!
gcscan

Post by gcscan »

Hello all and thanks for the update about the GWN.

I have been monitoring the GWN with my scanner for a while now, and it has been active for over a year from Surfers Paradise which would be the closest broadcast site to my home on the Gold Coast. According to https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7805 I have the site frequencies loaded in to my scanner (Uniden 396XT) as a P25 trunking system. To add to this thread you will still pick up the control frequencies and if your scanner enables it you will still find the usable channels and a data broadcast, however as stated here I have not been able to hear any voice on these channels because of encryption etc etc. Just adding in case people are having the same issue picking up the trunk and not being able to hear the transmissions. It's there yeas the scanner knows its there but you cant hear anything but the digital mode.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Radio_Australia

Time for an update ?

I hear the ISSI link between NSW grn and qld GWN is now live , but no radios currently set to use the interstate link as yet ,

Or has anyone maybe heard some voice testing ?

I’m under the impression we will hear clear NSW radios ( besides enc) into the qld GWN system as they affiliate in qld
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

On the southern GC you will hear NSW radios. It's still basically pointless to monitor other than the few sites towards the border.

Both states radios will operate as if they were in their normal state, so QLD will carry encryption across to NSW and NSW will carry clear comms across to QLD where they aren't originally encrypted
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

May want to keep a listen for new/existing TG's being tested for QLD <-> NSW liaison.

Will be interesting how ENC will occur between fire services from both states, and NSW Amb with QLD hospitals when GRN becomes readily available.
Radio_Australia

GWN UN-MONITORABLE

A system admin has commented elsewhere that all qld services will stay encrypted in nsw ,

Clear NSW services will be in the clear in qld on the GWN ,