Bob from NSW.

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
clubbyr8
Newly Registered Users

Bob from NSW.

Post by clubbyr8 »

Hi guys,

My name is Bob but use the handle clubbyr8 in most places. Handle came from owning a HSV VT Clubsport R8 when I was a tad younger. A bit more pedestrian these days with my Nissan Patrol, but it's a lot more fun on the dirt...

I'm an old bloke in his sixties and my work background is Telecommunications. Started life as a T.I.T. (technician in training) with the PMG (Telecom, Telstra) and worked mainly in Telegraphs and Data. I've had various rolls within Telecommunications with several organisations (no jobs for life anymore) and I'm currently between gigs....

Done the Marriage, Kids, Divorce thing but life goes on.

Always been interested in Radio, probably stems from the fact my old man was a Radio Operator in the RAF during WW2. Currently studying for my Amateur Radio Licence (Standard) which I'm looking forward to getting. I sucked at morse code so I never went for my licence in the past and as it's not needed anymore, so the rest of it should be straight forward.

The only transceiver I own is a GME TX3510 that's in my Patrol. I've just fixed my old man's old Tandy receiver and I've been playing with that for a while. It drifts a bit, but I don't have the gear to align it. Dad used to fiddle with his radios a bit...

I'm very much a DIY kind of guy, so most of my radio related stuff will be home built. The exception being anything with surface mount components. I just don't have the eyesight these days... lol

Not much of a gamer anymore. I play Trainstation daily, but's that about it.

I probably won't say much initially, as I'm learning and I'll try not to ask any dumb questions. Someone once said the only dumb question is the one not asked...

Anyway, that's a bit about me, looking forward to the forum.
Blake

Re: Bob from NSW.

Post by Blake »

Welcome aboard bloke,
from the sound of things, you'll fit in fine here.

And please, there are no stupid questions, we've all had to learn, and lord knows that i've asked more than my fair share of 'dumb' questions.
They may seem 'dumb' initially, but that's only because you don't know the answer, and you think everyone else does.
Often times many don't, because they too think the questions are 'dumb'.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is, ask away, that's what we're here for.

Cheers mate.
X-Firey

Re: Bob from NSW.

Post by X-Firey »

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the club, 60's, Marriage, Kids, the Divorce thing and last but not least Aussie Scanners!