New Chum To Scanning

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
OzBassman

New Chum To Scanning

Post by OzBassman »

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in radio since my first electronics kit with wire interconnects and springs on components on one of those 60 in 1 project kits. when I was very little.

My wife and I are considering on moving from Emerald in Victoria to either Wonthaggi or Inverloch down on the Bass Coast. I was originally thinking of purchasing a HF receiver as I enjoy listening to short wave. The AOR AR-DV1 is one such receiver I was looking at. As I said my first wish was HF Shortwave. Now I am thinking of purchasing a scanner with HF or a HF receiver and a scanner.

ICOM will be releasing their new R8600 and R8 scanners/receivers early next year 2017. It is the never ending question how long is a piece of string.

As I mentioned I know nothing about scanning at all. I am asking what scanner or HF receiver I should purchase for the Bass Coast area in Victoria. I like radios with knobs, no computer SDR's. It is too much like being at work.

Modern radios are not cheap and I am a firm believer you get what you pay for. Could I please be started off on the right foot.

Do I need a receiver that goes from 10kHz to 3GHz. Or will the AOR do the job going from 100kHz to 1.3GHZ?
Do I need trunking, whatever that is?

The only things I think I know is that I will try to listen to rural police, CFA and marine frequencies during the daylight hours and short wave stations like Radio New Zealand and Radio China. Two strong broadcasters.

Antennas are another topic all together. For the moment I will be setting up in a coastal caravan park so antennas must be small. We may relocate to house though I have no idea how big the backyard will be or what we can afford.

I am sorry. So many questions and I have no answers.

Thank you for reading this.

Paul.
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

Re: New Chum To Scanning

Post by terryhaynes »

Hi mate and welcome to our community!