Hi all. New member

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Mudduck
Newly Registered Users

Hi all. New member

Post by Mudduck »

Good evening everyone. 41years young from Sydney, just got given an icom 400 pro and itching to jump in and see how she ticks and learn the ins and outs of programming.
Cheers
Paul.
emergen

Re: Hi all. New member

Post by emergen »

Hi there Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find the members to be most helpful.

The Icom transceivers you've bought is a very nice unit. I presume when you are saying "programming" you mean programming the extra frequencies that you can setup your Icom to allow you to listen to.

There's definitely a lot to listen to. Depending on what tickles your fancy as far as listening goes you are possibly going to find your Icom will have limitations. Most government departments, many businesses and many voluntary organisations use trunked radio systems. Google that term and the problem is the frequency changes and to listen to conversations you'd need a trunk tracking scanner. With the trunk tracking scanner the scanner will automatically follow the communications via whatever frequencies change to.

Uniden make an Australian specific trunk tracking scanner UBCD396XT.

I started scanning in the 1980's and living out in the bush to listen to the police I only needed 2 frequencies. In that era your Icom wouldn't worked fine. Just no longer.

Now I may have burst your bubble and I do apologise. There are many radio users who don't use trunk tracking and you can obtain their frequencies via doing a search of the ACMA database which is online.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk