Hi Guys

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
poppins122325

Hi Guys

Post by poppins122325 »

Hi all,

Im one of the new members here and look forward to learning from this great site and its members. Currently i only have next to no experience in this area but im willing to try and learn as i go.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan
emergen

Hi Guys

Post by emergen »

Hi Nathan,

I'm also new/er to scanning. Late last year I purchased a top of the line Uniden scanner which I still have to learn how to use. I'm hoping it's not like banging my head against a brick wall. I'm a little luckier than some because I am a licensed ham radio hobbyist.

Do you have a scanner yet? What's your particular interest? I do wish you the best.

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poppins122325

Re: Hi Guys

Post by poppins122325 »

Hi Michael,

Currently i dont have a scanner but am trying to program one for a friend, so far all ive gotten is more confused as ive went so here seemed a good place to start reading haha.

Particular interest is the RFS frequencies and such for NSW

Regards,
Nathan
Phantom
Forum Manager

Hi Guys

Post by Phantom »

G'day!
Welcome to the forum. Be sure to ask any questions you have and I am sure someone on the forum will be able to assist.

What modle scanner are you trying to program?
As this hobby is wide and varied, there are so many areas for which you can be interested in. It's just a matter of dipping your toe in and having a go - it's the only way to find out if you like it or not!
poppins122325

Post by poppins122325 »

Thanks for the welcome phantom :)

I believe its a TYT ? UVF10, thats what it says on the box anyhow.

Im now seeing how wide and varied it really is after looking around the site, Cant wait to save up and buy my own scanner though :)
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What are you actually wanting to do with that radio?
poppins122325

Post by poppins122325 »

Hi Phantom,

I believe they want to put the RFS GRN on it however i dont think its possible by looking in the software, PMR may be the only option for them ?

Love the avatar by the way .

Regards,
Nathan
michael
Administrator

Post by michael »

poppins122325 wrote:I believe its a TYT ? UVF10, thats what it says on the box anyhow.
Welcome Nathan,

As Phantom said, any questions feel free to ask.

Obviously being new to the hobby there's a couple of basic things I will point out.

The TYT DM-UVF10 is not actually a scanner as such, it is in basic terms an "amateur radio" which you will require permission or a license to own/operate. There has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic on here recently, so if you get some spare time have a look through some of our recently active threads.

These are in similar (loosely used term) circumstances to radar detectors, you can easily find them available for sale online here in Australia but to be caught using them in some states (unsure if they have outlawed them completely these days) then you'd end up in strife.

When the time comes and you want to purchase a scanner for yourself, with the way things are heading with digital radio something that is P25 capable such as a Uniden UBCD396XT may be beneficial to you over something like your friend has. As a scanner hobbyist you will find a scanner similar to this will allow you to do other functions that a TYT cannot, such as close call and tone decoding just to name a couple.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers
Mick