Newby learning the ropes of CB and HF

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Amaroc

Newby learning the ropes of CB and HF

Post by Amaroc »

Hey guys,

Names Tezza just new to the CS scene :D

Realized on a recent trip around NSW, SA and Vic why I needed a CB so went out and bought an ICOM ICF 6023 being installed this week so may chat with you on air at some point in time.

Was in far outback SA I was ok but chap in land Cruiser was in trouble his CB was useless as to far from anything thus my realization for HF so sitting for my licence in next few weeks. Good news managed to get him out of trouble but though to myself, shit that could be me one day and what happens if no one came along. EPERB really do come in handy :).

After being with him for a good 20 hours talking about CB etc, yip I gotta get me one good for chat one the road ahead and things in general esp good truckies but hey lots of Dickheads too.

Anyways here I am hoping to learn from you all.

Cheers

Tezza
2014 VW Amarok Ultimate: Pegasus Canopy (from pjs4x4.com.au) ARB Bullbar: Kaymar wrap around rear bullbar, Twin Drawers (sliding floors): Korr 80watt Spots : 50 mm Bilstein suspension lift: Under Carriage protection: Sunroof: 3M Crystalline tint, Evo Corse 16 wheels with MT ATZ P3.......... ICOM 400pro and anything else I can throw on :D
Tez
peteramjet

Re: Newby learning the ropes of CB and HF

Post by peteramjet »

Amaroc wrote:Realized on a recent trip around NSW, SA and Vic why I needed a CB so went out and bought an ICOM ICF 6023 being installed this week so may chat with you on air at some point in time.
Welcome Tezza. Just be aware that the Icom 6023 is a commercial 2-way radio and not approved for use on CB. If you purchased this from a dealer as a CB I'd be returning it and requesting something which better suits your needs. There's further info in other threads on this site.

As your mate found, UHF CB is only really reliable for short range comms. As you rightly said, an EPIRB should be carried for outback travel. If you are looking at HF for emergency comms only, may I suggest that a satellite phone is likely more appropriate in today's world. Price difference is comparible with an HF set but the advantages far outweigh the radio IMO for emergency comms, including being able to use it away from the car.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Welcome to the forums Tezza :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

Welcome to aussie scanners