Hi All

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Scanited

Hi All

Post by Scanited »

Situated in SEQ , 170km west of Brisbane by road , 130km LOS .

Just started up with a new scanner in built with a UHF cb radio , picking up and figuring out what's what around the local area here out rural , so far figured out places and frequencies for fire ambo polly , courier and a few others .

What actually got me here was the rural fire as I heard a simplex radio check net going on with other station bases spread around out to 100km by road (5 or 6 stations all up) and they mentioned it was channel 1 but this was on 459.1mhz , so maybe these chan numbers are a bit different in different areas? .

Anyway I'm off to have a read about and thanks for being here Aussie Scanners !
blacktown
Forum Manager

Re: Hi All

Post by blacktown »

459.1000Mhz is the input to 468.600Mhz

A ACMA search of that input suggests it is the Queensland State Emergency Service (SES) you are listening to

http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/ses/abo ... we-do.html

Sounds like you are 20km west of Toowoomba
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Welcome to the forum!
"YOUNGN"
Scanited

Post by Scanited »

Thanks for the info blacktown , I never though of a repeater . 9.5 MHz shift for anyone else .

Anyway a update , this time again (mon night) the radio check net started and all I could hear was the local station on the input , then I recalled something about having dramas the last time so they probably were doing something else?

The last time I did notice a comms service vehicle the next day parked out front (it had a special name for it) .

The next night (tues) and every Tuesday for the last 8 years since I been here they use a sellcal like sound to turn on and test the siren , sometimes a off and on , sometimes for 30 seconds or so ..

cheers all .

btw> channel 1 was mentioned again .
Comint

Post by Comint »

Scanited wrote:Thanks for the info blacktown , I never though of a repeater . 9.5 MHz shift for anyone else .

Anyway a update , this time again (mon night) the radio check net started and all I could hear was the local station on the input , then I recalled something about having dramas the last time so they probably were doing something else?

The last time I did notice a comms service vehicle the next day parked out front (it had a special name for it) .

The next night (tues) and every Tuesday for the last 8 years since I been here they use a sellcal like sound to turn on and test the siren , sometimes a off and on , sometimes for 30 seconds or so ..

cheers all .

That's rather intriguing, as 468.600 / 459.100 is SES Channel 1 Repeater in Queensland - 468.600 Simplex is Channel 21.

The Rural Fire Service do their Siren and Pager tests via FireCom South West in Toowoomba, and the length of time the Siren is sounding is determined by how quick the crew at the station are at turning it off at the Station.

--
Comint
Scanited

Post by Scanited »

Comint wrote:
Scanited wrote:Thanks for the info blacktown , I never though of a repeater . 9.5 MHz shift for anyone else .

cheers all .

That's rather intriguing, as 468.600 / 459.100 is SES Channel 1 Repeater in Queensland - 468.600 Simplex is Channel 21.

The Rural Fire Service do their Siren and Pager tests via FireCom South West in Toowoomba, and the length of time the Siren is sounding is determined by how quick the crew at the station are at turning it off at the Station.

--
Comint
Ok thanks , I have never sat out front to see how it gets turned off , I recall awhile back it stayed on for a minute and I thought there was actually a drama going on but nothing happened .

The night a real event happened in which 4 shops in a side street got completely toasted I never heard it go off , and later on like 1 year another shop in the main street got completely toasted and I never heard it then either , so I gather its not for local events? .
cheers ..
Comint

Post by Comint »

Scanited wrote:The night a real event happened in which 4 shops in a side street got completely toasted I never heard it go off , and later on like 1 year another shop in the main street got completely toasted and I never heard it then either , so I gather its not for local events? .
cheers ..
Now a days most non-permanent staffed Brigades get turned out by Pager, and the Siren is just kept as a back-up.

--
Comint
Scanited

Post by Scanited »

Ok , thanks again .