Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
hotmetal1000

Re: Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by hotmetal1000 »

You'd be surprised, there is still plenty of us 27meg people out there chasing skip still.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Hi folks,
I've been a member here for a while now and I guess I'm probably one of the oldest. I have been a scanner fanatic since the 1970's. I believe there is no limit to what you can learn and no-one knows everything, especially in relation to this area of interest.
I mainly listen to airband. I also like to keep an ear on QFRS. My local area control is Firecom south west, but I can receive Southport with my UBCT9 working off a stick antenna just like this one:
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... ts_id=1335

Hand held scanners are OK if your'e out and about, but they can't beat a desktop and a decent size antenna to pull in DX. I have an Icom IC-R7 which is versatile but a complex little SOB. I only use it for local emergency services. It would be far better in a metropolitan area.

If you are starting out with this hobby, your best bet is a Uniden as they are the most user friendly. They also have a fast SEARCH rate which is ideal for discovering new activity in your area.

73's
Rohan

Post by Rohan »

Hi guys
got interested in litening to emegency services because i joined my local rural fire brigade and wanted to listen in to wat was happening when i wasnt at home so i couldnt listen to the base station sets we have a tait 2000 for vhf fireground comunictions and a simocco 9000 for uhf communictions to fire com. so i got a icom 40pro with the 25wat uppgrade and i have recently got a uniden bearcat ubc340crs for my room when i cant hear the base radios. i also like to look the pictures to see wat trucks are running around ad wat other stations look like thanks mainly to mitch for that i supose
chers rohan
P.S probably should metion that i had to get special permision to get the 25wat mod
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
scanners simoco 9020vhf, simoco 9020uhf, IC-400pro, IC-41s, ubc340crs
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Why would you need 25w on the IC-400Pro ??
Rohan

Post by Rohan »

for special transmission purposes
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Are people shocked on here to find out that people actually use more than 5 watts for there own personal purpose's.
Whats the drama in using a few more watts. (Don't give me AMCA Jargon) 5,20,25,30,50,100watts, If you've got'em, Use them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rohan

Post by Rohan »

well i assume if u read the manual with a fine tooth comb and follow the instruction carefully u can do it from the pannell or if u buy the right program for ur computer u can program it but i just got it done at the shop less hassle that way and i think when they do it they lock out the function of manual programing
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

bonnie28 wrote:Whats the drama in using a few more watts. (Don't give me AMCA Jargon) 5,20,25,30,50,100watts, If you've got'em, Use them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Little thing called rules
Mitch Rogers
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Well - at least we know who the idiots are!!!!

Dont worry - i will not be going and advising ACMA - you have already done that yourself ......
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Maybe that picture of orangepeel is the real thing. :lol: :lol: Airway Police.
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

ahahah all fun. :D
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Thank you Scott :)
Mitch Rogers
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

Ive been a radio amateur [ham] since 1970,and before that was a pirate HF [27MHz] cb operator before it was legalised [my pirate call was Freight Train] and i had a realistic trc24c 5Watts 23 channels but AM only.My CB call from the ACMA is QZA 909...yes i was cb licensed on the very first day of licensing,you had to buy a cb license then.

They [acma] were SO busy licensing cbers that after the end of the first day they went on strike LOL,and a few days later they continued licensing so, as new cb licensees ,we were stuck cause we couldnt talk to our old pirate friends. But that only lasted a couple of days.

love it dearly BUT when scanners first came out everyone was yapping about this whole new world radio interrest. I was only so so UNTIL they said the word POLICE...

I couldnt get down to the store quick enough .

From that day till current im hooked solid on scanning

PS,i know it says i joined in nov 2008 but i was only a reader,now im active.
Cheers Rod
I LOVE AOR scanners, but cant afford the newer ones LOL. So Uniden is it.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by Phantom »

Great to see you active on here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

been a member here since rochedalescan days , and always will be here to help my good mate out Shane, been into scanning since 97 and I was only 17 wanted to listening everything I could up down coast realised you have to be in areas to get what you want , I always loved listening to QPS oxley channel covered pretty much all southside and bayside never a dull moment on that channel , over the years I have volunteered in various emergency groups and even started my own called sequest, radio is hobby I enjoy learning and teaching good to share intrests with others. current radios I own

Icom 400 pro - home base
Uniden president washington 27mhz ssb
Puxing 888 uhf 400-480
Gme tx3440 - in car
Uniden 120xlt scanner
Few icom fc 20 handhelds

Cheers
Shane
Air 495

Post by Air 495 »

Hello all,

It all started for me in 1991 with my Bearcat 62xlt (I think). dad came home with one for $200 at the time and we just input a start and finish frequency and off it went till 2004 when I gave it away due to lack of enjoyment and starting a family and limited time. In 1996 I purchased the 3000XLT Uniden the day it was released (sounds like waiting for the Iphone of today) and it was awesome for its time.

About 1 mth ago I purchased a UBC396T Uniden H/H and it is good, but how scanning has changed!!!! I am finding it very hard to program and get my head around it. All I want to listen to is Air ambulance, MAS and Amb Victoria. I have many TGID and frequencies, but trying to work out what is current and what is not is very hard. I am at the stae of paying someone to supply all the info I need as I have been on the net for weeks researching stuff to no luck.

Thanks all for giving me the time?
AIR 495

UNIDEN UBCD 396 T
ScannerEars

Post by ScannerEars »

Hi all,

I bought my first scanner back in 1987 after my mate bought one. It was a Tandy/Radio Shack ? Can't for the life of me recall what model it was, but one of the 'bigish' chunky HH's of its day.

I sold this and bought a Uniden Bearcat 200XLT for around $500.00 from Dick Smith (Penrith) in 1993, which I still have in perfect condition and works great. Managed to score some new battery packs for it recently. :D :D :D

Last year, I bought a Uniden 396T which I'm enjoying, but bit of a struggle after the old 200XLT.

I hold a commercial pilots licence and I am mainly interested in airband scanning.

Moved from Sydney to Victoria about 15 years ago and now living in Melbourne's SE Suburbs.

Cheers,

ScannerEars
Uniden BCD396T - BCXLT200 - SANGEAN 909 SW - Airnav RadarBox
radbne1

Post by radbne1 »

Hi All,

I was a radio enthusiast until about six years ago and am just getting back into it. Have been a casual guest reader of this site for a couple of years but have now registered.

Cheers
towing
Newly Registered Users

Post by towing »

I am a new member and also worked the skip to fiji america and other isle proud to find such a helpful site thanx
MHD 999
Newly Registered Users

Post by MHD 999 »

Hi All

I have been a regular visitor to this site and have finally got around to signing up, I am new to scanning and recently brought a Uniden hand held to get me started. Great web site packed with really good information.

Regards