Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
peaman

Re: Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by peaman »

I found an old short wave radio on top of my dads wardrobe back in the late 70's so I thougt I'd put some batteries in it and see what happened! As a kid, I started to become exposed to various types of two way radios and HF radios then as I grew older, I started using them at work and so on so I guess it all started back when I put those batteries in my old mans short wave radio! (Did I just repeat myself??? :o )
jager
Newly Registered Users

Post by jager »

I am a newbie to the world of radios, and have been using information on this site for a little while, but never had anything really to offer until now. It is all a little daunting getting involved in this world, on the surface things are pretty basic, but gets complex the further you dig, I guess everyone is a little worried about looking like a tool when you ask stupid questions...

I have just had a discriminator tap put into two of my radios (UBC355XLT and UBC73XLT) by Dave at http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com and felt like I needed to let you all know about my experience. I was a little dubious at contacting them at first (not able to find much about them) but by the look of their website and a few small references on forums about them I thought it was worth the risk. Well I can not recommend them enough! From the get go, Dave was eager to communicate and more than willing to provide advice on options etc. Their prices are VERY reasonable, service second to none and it took under 5 days from initial contact to receiving the radios back and ready to go. It was so refreshing to not feel like an idiot when asking silly questions and felt like they really wanted to help, not just take my cash.

As the people on this forum have the same intent as http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com, ie willing to help and not criticise the inexperienced for their... well... lack of experience, I thought it fitting to share my... er... um... experience.

I hope other newbies will have their confidence increased by similar exposure to experienced mentors like Dave at http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com, a great asset to the industry.
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Thank you very much, Jager.
It was a pleasure working on your radios.

:-)
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Tatcher

Post by Tatcher »

Hey i'v been a member for only a few months.
i dont necessarily have a scanner as such (i listen to the scanners on an iPhone app (911) which i believe gets its feeds from Radio Reference.
I am an Auxiliary Firefighter however, stationed at 28 (Caboolture), so I have an understanding of radio use.
hopefully i can have a valuable input into these boards with regard to firefighting.
awesomer
Newly Registered Users

Post by awesomer »

hey, how many people has the new 80 channels uhf's
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Well that is an interesting intro.

Where are you located? Maybe try and insert your location into your profile so in the future, we can tailor a solution to any problems?

As for 80ch UHF, well I would think not many people are active on the 80ch as yet, however give it time and the numbers will grow - especially when purchasing new gear
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Morning All
I'm new to this forum but have been mucking around with scanners and radios since the 1980's, living north of Wagga Wagga I usually listen in on VKG, Railways, RFS, Air and will probably get back into UHF CB just to play with the new channels,

Uniden 780XLT, Uniden 760XLT, Uniden 72XLT, GP329, GP338, GP339 and a few other bit's and pieces keep me occupied.

PK
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Welcome Chewy. Good range of radios you get there!
Mitch Rogers
Chewie
Newly Registered Users

Post by Chewie »

Good evening folks.

I just joined up, unaware that there already was a member of a similar name to myself already residing here. My apologies.

Anyway, the real name's Luke, also known as Chewie. I'm 19 and living in Melbourne's South-East.
Been interested in UHF CB since we got our first UHF fitted to the old man's Patrol back in '02. Bought my first pair of 1w hand-helds, and used to always enjoy listening in.

Lost interest for a few years, until I got my first car late last year. Something sparked my interest again, so I purchased a Uniden UH400SX-RM, and fitted that to my wagon along with a 6db antenna. Shortly after, I picked up a Kenwood TK350 off Mr. eBay.

Anyway, I'm generally scanning the airwaves at some point between 11pm-1am while I drive around, usually after taking the girlfriend home.

So if someone who calls themself Chewie pops up and says he's talking to you from Keysborough/Springvale/Noble Park/Mulgrave, it's probably me ;)
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Great to have you around. Welcome to the forum and we look forward to your input.
michaelbarring
Newly Registered Users

Post by michaelbarring »

Hey thanks for the great information.
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

hey guys n gals

What can i say... :roll: it all started for me when I brought my Iphone 3gs and downloaded radio 5-0,
then i got a Samsung glaxy S and got the scanner app. then I saw Brisbanescan's set up of his simoco srm9030 in his vx dunnie door :lol: . but since then it has sparked my intrest and my wife who is cursing the day brisbanescan showed me the setup :lol: . and now i want so many things it's like i've been bitten by the scanner bug. i'm trying to chase down a cheap 2nd hand srm9020 for my car (fat chance my wife would let me have it) but one can only try :wink: but now i'm just ploding along and getting some equipment together as i come past it not going to throw myself in the deep end off the bat but i'm going to take little baby steps first by purchacing a uniden UBC355XLT and see where to go from there

catch ya's later :D
David
Uniden UH7700NB, UBC355XLT
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum

Great start to the hobby - heaps to learn and so many people from different walks of life/experience that will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

Enjoy the hobby
Tonester

Post by Tonester »

Hey there

Used to be in the RFS here in nsw and used the old scanners back in them good old days :D .
Went and naught a UBCD 396XT the other day, hmm what a change to the older types. So looked for some forums and found this and presto joined in. I have a sneaky feeling aim gonna need help :shock:

Great site
Cheers Tony
Phil
Administrator

Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by Phil »

Hi tonester,

If you need a hand programming rfs let us know I think I have a profile door proscan which has all the rfs PMR, Stratnet (has been cancelled) and Digital GRN although the one thing I don't have is there new digital PMR however I'm gonna assume they will use the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
PaulTech

Post by PaulTech »

Long time licenced amateur & scanner, now using SDR
Hobart
------------

RTL SDR(R820T) using SDR#, SeeDeR, dump1090, UniTrunker
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

G'day Paul - don't forget to tell us your QTH
Tonester

Post by Tonester »

Hi Phil thanks mate

Still trying to learn the programming and that any extra channels be great
Cheers Tony
DuckRepairs
Newly Registered Users

Post by DuckRepairs »

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick note as I have just joined. Great resource for just understanding how things work. Im in SA and involved with Surf Life Saving. Thought I should just post something as I have not come across many questions that I cant get an answer for just by reading the forums!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Hi there ducky!

Welcome to the forum