My DIY Scanner Antenna

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
Blake

My DIY Scanner Antenna

Post by Blake »

Hey All,

Following on from my posts here:
http://www.aussiescanners.com.au/forum/ ... 267&t=7733
http://www.aussiescanners.com.au/forum/ ... =73&t=7734

After a bit of a dismay at the, ah, shall we say, major lack of adequate reception, I decided to resolve my problem using DIY.

I'm mostly listening to stuff around 165 meg. i.e. CFA/RMR, SMR, VicPol, so I decided on making an antenna that would perform better than the stock ducky around those bands.

Now, let's be straight, this is my first build, i've never designed o built an antenna before. :o
I've probably done lots of thing that'll make many of you experts cringe and scream. :lol: :roll:
But hey, it's working a hellva lot better than what I had.

I resolved to make a simple loop antenna, tuned around 165 ish.

I can't remember where, but I found the perfect calculator online that would calculate the required length, for a conductor diameter and tuning frequency,
From the required length, I applied some pi, and got the required diameter.
It turned out to be (from memory), about 6 feet in length, or 28" diameter.
Apparently that would land me somewhere close :?

Anyway, I cut the required length of copper pipe I had laying around (conveniently in a near perfect circle form).
made a support, some mock terminals, and connected her up.

Well, lo and behold, I got great, directional, clear, static-free reception.
I hung it up inside from the picture rail for about a week while I evaluated the best direction and performance.
At this stage, it was so much better than the stock antenna, I was happy to run with this jerry-rigged setup.
It was awesome.

But, it got the better of me; I wanted amazing, not just great reception.
So, I spent about a day out the shed fiddling.
I made:
A custom roof mount (for my corrugated iron roof)
A proper mast thing
Two struts / supports.
The actual antenna support mounting thing; insulated at the top.
A custom acrylic terminal block for connection of the coax to the antenna.
And various other bits and pieces.

The next day, it was up onto the roof to actually install the thing. :)
It was put up in about 10-15 minutes.
The coax was run, up under the eaves into the roof, and down a free section of wall, to a custom blank faceplate with cable grommet.
A bit of wiring later and ta-da, it was done.

There is one RMR site quite close to me, with amazing reception.
But I chose to face it towards a further away location that carried both RMR and SMR frequencies.
The best of both worlds; country & western, shaggy & scooby-do, AC & DC, fish fingers & custard. :roll:

Anyway, I learnt lots, and now my reception is bloody brilliant for pretty much 95% of what I listen to at home.

Pics:

Sorry, no up-close or construction photos. :|

What do ya' reckon?
apriliabob

Re: My DIY Scanner Antenna

Post by apriliabob »

Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
railscan

Re: My DIY Scanner Antenna

Post by railscan »

Forget about what the experts say, if it works then use it. It is effectively a dipole, which is what most of us should be using for scanning. Throw away the discones and other so called wideband scanner antennas, they are a con job in the first degree. Generally speaking a VHF high band dipole will work well on UHF as well.

You may find rotating it slightly will improve incoming signals, or indeed notch out unwanted ones.

Welcome to the dark side of antenna theory ... which is usually accompanied by a good deal of the brown stuff that comes out the rear end of a bull.

R