ICOM IC-R6 First imprerssions

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
AIRMAN

ICOM IC-R6 First imprerssions

Post by AIRMAN »

Yes I got the R6 yesterday. First impressions are:

Tiny little bugger when compared to an AOR 8200 which is like a housebrick by size and weight comparison.

Takes only two NimH AA's 2000mh. (Eneloops)
The door to access the battery is very nice and not a fingernail buster.
The unit has US Milspec MIL-STD 810, so it's reasonably sturdy.
100kHz-1309.995MHz wideband coverage.
100 channels persec scan speed (in VFO mode) bit slower in memory depending on how you set it up.
Icom still has this system of a basic memory bank which you enter progressively from VFO mode. The next stage is to modify each memory to selected banks. There are 22 of them each of which be named as well as the frequency itself. This process sounds long and painstaking, however once you have the hang of it, it doesn't take that long. There are several ways of scanning and searching frequencies as well.

Performance?

The audio is crisp and as loud as you want without any distortion. Glad to see the earphone socket on top of the unit and not on the side. Its still a mono socket though. :x

The R6 pulls in signals as good as any scanner twice the size and price IMO.

The screen is a nice yellow color which the LAMP can be adjusted for contrast as well as ON all the time or Auto out after 5 secs.

Easy to program from VFO to main memory.

I have ordered a Diamond SRH 120 airband antenna whip which will enhance the aviation frequencies, meantime the supplied RD doesn't do a bad job of it.

This pocket size scanner will satisfy those who wish to operate in covert situations with an earphone, e.g. airports, shopping malls, air displays etc. It has a handy little belt clip which works great as well.

I will be inputting some SEARCH banks soon, so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers
dags

Re: ICOM IC-R6 First imprerssions

Post by dags »

hey airman you cant go wrong i program mine via computer :D
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

sounds great there airman :)
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
dags

Post by dags »

i got a pair off white ipod earbuds and the small size you can leave in your top pocket people think you are listening to your ipod :D :D :D :D
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

dags wrote:i got a pair off white ipod earbuds and the small size you can leave in your top pocket people think you are listening to your ipod :D :D :D :D
Ditto!