About to buy a pager

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
Boort8720

Re: About to buy a pager

Post by Boort8720 »

I just purchased an Apollo ALA25. But it was $198 from WiPath Sydney :shock:
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Boort8720 wrote:I just purchased an Apollo ALA25. But it was $198 from WiPath Sydney :shock:

Very popular pager! Also a good one!
dwarak17
Newly Registered Users

Post by dwarak17 »

Contrary to popular belief, the use of pagers did not die with the turn of the century. In fact, choosing to purchase a pager is still a common occurrence among many professionals and one that offers a variety of modern options. Before going out to look for a pager, however, buyers should be aware of the details of these options. First, buyers need to decide on the type of pager they want to buy: numeric, alphanumeric, or two-way. Next, buyers need to consider the different features that pagers offer including the alerts, memory, time and date stamps, and voicemail capabilities.
spectreman

Post by spectreman »

Hi all.
I have been using an actual pager for when away from home for several years now.
Started with an Apollo ALA25, pretty good, but then upgraded to a TPL Systems Birdy WP R2, that can have up to 128 capcodes in it, hand programmable too.
But, have now further upgraded to a Swissphone s.QUAD X35, this pager is awesome, very well made, & very expensive, like a swiss watch ! Probably a bit too high end for my use, but anyway, I do like to know about emergency situations, weather warnings etc., very handy... The Swissphone pager is highly customisable too.
NightFlight

Post by NightFlight »

Hi Spectreman,

Just curious, do all the cap codes programmed in the Birdy pager have to be on the same frequency/ baud rate like traditional pagers such as the Apollo? Never knew pagers existed that held so many cap codes :o

Cheers,
Night flight.
spectreman

Post by spectreman »

Hi.
Yes, with the Birdy pager, it has the same frequency & baud rate for all codes, just one receiver in it.
But I highly recommend it, the 128 capcodes is fantastic, more than enough for me.
Is fully hand programmable too.
The visual alert LEDs are better than the Apollo pagers, and submersible water proof.
Is more solid feeling construction than the Apollo.

The Swissphone pager (3 times the price !), is fantastic too, has 64 capcodes which is enough for me too.
The main advantage of the Swissphone is the slimmer size, 100 message capacity, 512 characters per message (no more truncated messages), customisable alert LED, better quality screen. I have a different colour flash for different agencies, can tell right away who the message is from, and different tones of course too.
Having the right codes in these pagers is critical, this only comes from years of monitoring !
With the pagers I have, I get a pretty good statewide overview of what's happening.
Swissphone for the EAS main, Birdy for supplemental CFA stuff, Apollo for the HEMS helicopters.
Still have PDW going too, but sure cannot beat pagers for portability.

Cheers, Chris.
NightFlight

Post by NightFlight »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that info, all very interesting. Worth looking into if the old Apollo needs replacing :)

Cheers,
NF.