What are the best capcodes for serious emergencies?

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
Aimii

What are the best capcodes for serious emergencies?

Post by Aimii »

Hi there,

I have a pager for two reasons.. 1. When I go hiking or camping I keep an eye on the local area in case there's a fire or other emergency and 2.. In general to monitor for anything really drastic that might happen, so I can get home before things get out of hand, before people panic.

For the first, I just use the SES regional code but for the second I am kind of at a loss for what to use. Monitoring the frequency via PDW is not really fruitful as I may be waiting for a capcode that is used once every year or less.. does anyone have any ideas what capcodes to use?

I was thinking of monitoring the following pagers/capcodes (Actual capcodes removed)
* State Duty Officer
* North East Duty Officer
* North West_Duty Officer
* Central Duty Officer
* South West_Duty Officer
* Geelong (Linked to new incident management center?)

Any suggestions? (I am in Vic)

Also, any capcode lists welcome, unfortunately I lost mine when my old hdd died.
HDSDR/SDR Sharp via Elonics chipset
Puxing 777 (UHF)
Pagers: RT760, 4x AL924's, 2X AL-A25's
chrisco

Re: What are the best capcodes for serious emergencies?

Post by chrisco »

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Aimii

Post by Aimii »

Thanks..

I probably should add that I haven't ever and wouldn't attend any event broadcast..

I guess Ill most likely end up sifting through endless PDW logs again..
Puxing 777 (UHF)
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Why not setup a station at home, and you will soon be able to borrow down which ones suit you.
Then once you find the cap odes, feel free to share them
Aimii

Post by Aimii »

As I said above, I am after the capcodes that are not used very often. It is likely that it will be used in an extreme emergency, and that is when I want that message going to my pager. By the time I get home, its after the event.

As I also said, I had a crapload of capcodes that I formed over a long time, I used to use a scanner and PDW, I presently use SDR for such things, but as I said.. I need codes that are probably used very infrequently.

I have the codes for the ones above, which are as follows:

1 240097 State Duty Officer
2 241921 North East Duty Officer
3 242345 North West Duty Officer
4 240713 Central Duty Officer
5 242785 South West_Duty Officer
6 565936 Geelong (New incident management center?)
Puxing 777 (UHF)
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

the best way is to set up a pdw oad at home and go from there this will teach you more about the system
it will also allow you to get any cap codes you want and need in the future , as like most of us you will gain quiet a list of cap codes

for a heads up before it hits the radio is what its all about ... using these as a way of gaining information is pointless and your barking up the wrong tree , the pager messages are not that descriptive so using for anything other than the "heads up " is a heath hazard to you and others
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
Aimii

Post by Aimii »

That is all I am after, a heads up. I am not an idiot and I am very capable of making a decision based on available information. If I was to hear that a potential terrorist attack struck the city, I would leave the city ASAP. I do not need extensive paragraphs of information to make that judgment call. I am an adult. :|
After word of an attack got out, the roads and public transport would be rendered useless inside 15 minutes, perhaps less.

As I have mentioned, I used PDW at home previously. I recovered some of my files and have a lot more capcodes available to me now. I am presently unable to do so due to electrical problems and a lack of a scanner, courtesy of a neighborhood thief. I am adding a discriminator tap to a pager.

I also use it when camping, for a "heads up". Also, as you are likely aware, reports of missing hikers go out on the airwaves too. If I happen to be in the area I can turn on a handheld radio I take with me, if WICEN are about, I may be of assistance, particularly if a missing person happened upon my campsite. I have been stuck in a region before by severe storms which downed many trees, there were a number of us and the radio was the only source of information we had. The SES were also unaware of our location at that point, we had enough supplies to get us through so it was not a problem. They cleared the roads before we were due to leave.
Puxing 777 (UHF)
FirstOnScene

Post by FirstOnScene »

You can also get the VICFIRES app for smart phones
ozradio

Post by ozradio »

Okay first of all don't bother monitoring a specific duty officer capcode as you will get personal messages sent to that user as well. The best thing to do is monitor the capcodes for the local SES and CFA as they will be the first to respond to a major incident in your area. There are a range of incident capcodes used by both SES and CFA which are known as dynamic groups which an SES member or CFA member can access by selecting through their page. These are chosen from a pool of available dynamic groups if an incident scales up and members from multiple agencies and multiple stations need to be sent messages at the same time.
ozradio
Simoco SRM9030Plus TU Band, SRM9030Plus AC Band, SRM9005 AC Band, SRM9022 TU Band
Tait T2000II, Barrett Crystal Locked HF Set, Uniden 80 Channel UHF